Greetings from Kansas!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJones1959

Reaction score
Greetings All:

After looking through some of the different countries that this cool forum has, I feel rather silly posting greetings from the Sunflower State of Kansas! :)

Well anyways, I wanted to introduce myself and say a warm hello to all the forum members here! I am somewhat new to the Metalworking environment. Although this passion goes hand-in-hand with my other passion which is Radio-Controlled Model Helicopter Flying as evidenced by my avatar. Many improvements to Radio-Controlled Models are made on Lathes and Mills. I am glad that I found this forum since my interests lie in building or improving the model engine in my Helicopter. In the near future I would like to make a turbine engine for a R/C Jet or perhaps cram a turbine into a model Helicopter! :eek: ??? ::)

I am no stranger to forums, and on this forum I plan to learn from the best, ask many questions, and hopefully help out when I know the answer to a question. Rof}

Sorry for the rather large population of words in this post! I will try to limit them in the future! ::)

Brian 8)

Welcome to HMEM Brian.

As for the:
BJones1959 said:
After looking through some of the different countries that this cool forum has, I feel rather silly posting greetings from the sunflower state of Kansas! :)
I'm from Punxsutawney PA. Best known for a sloppy fat rodent.
Be proud of your Sunflower State! ;)

Rick

Welcome,

I fly a Honey Bee CP2 and a T-Maxx!

wEc1 aboard. Brian...you've come to the the place of many helping hands. Enjoy Thm:

Regards

Philly

Hey Brian, welcom to the forum.

Chuck

Welcome to the group, Brian. What part of KS are you located in? I grew up near Hope, KS, but moved to IL some 40 years ago.

There is some beautiful country in KS, and my favorite is the Flint Hills area between Topeka and Junction City, along I-70.

Also to Rick, we stopped in Punxsutawney, just to see your famous rodent in his den at the library.

Regards,

Chuck

Brian,

Welcome to HMEM. The best place on the web in my opinion.

Bob

Brian,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Greetings:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

kuhncw: I grew-up in Shawnee KS and I now live about 12 miles away in Overland Park KS. I have not heard of Hope KS, but I know that there are lots of small rural towns in Kansas. My dad presently lives in a small Kansas town called Soldier. It is pretty close to Topeka that you mentioned.

After looking through some of the postings on engines, some of them look very interesting and I would like to take a stab at making some. I need to gather some more end mills and cutters and also some stock in general.

Does anyone have a on-line store that they like that is reasonable on metal stock and tools in general? It does not need to be the same store!

(I may need to ask this question in another part of the forum?) th_rulze

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the help!!

Brian 8)

Welcome Brian.
I call Springfield MO my home town but I live out in PA now.

I just started machining last February so my experience is very limited but I've used SpeedyMetals for material. I've also used OnlineMetal but I think they're a bit more expensive.

As for tools...what equipment do you have? I have a 5278 ToolsNow Lathe and a 44991 Harbor Freight mill. There are several machines that are 'exactly' the same but sold under different names. LittleMachineShop caters to these machines and I've found their service very good.

A lot of members use Enco. You can find good deals if you look for coupons and promos.

I don't know if there's a Harbor Freight near you. Cheap and sometimes the quality is too but you can check them out online.

Keep in mind too that a Grizzly center is in Springfield if you are ever down that way.

There's more. Just keep searching the forum.

Regards

BJones1959

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Welcome to HMEM and the world wide pool of knowledge, wit and humour. I am sure as you get comfortable on the forum you will find it all. Remember, the only foolish question, is the one that isn't asked.

Cheers

Don

!!WELCOME!!
In the words of a newbie, "this is the best place on the web". Ive spent many hours reading posts here and it seems no matter what you ask someone is always happy to help.

Brian,

Welcome to the board, from another Kansan. I live in Eudora, work in Olathe.

Scott

Welcome Brian, I too am new here and I have been treated great.
I am into helis as well, I have a Blade 400 3d and 3 smaller ones.
The 400 heeps my blood pressure up so the other ones dont get much air time.
I havent asked a question yet that someone didnt know the answer or knew where to find it.
I am working on two turbines as of now. An axial and a turbocharger based rig, The way I fly my planes and helis I would never risk my turbines in them.
Try Wren Turbines for a good heli rig.
Again welcome
-B-

Hello Brian,

Welcome to the forum. I am in Independence, MO, I have a 13X40 Jet lathe and a Birmingham 9X40 mill. Most of the tools that I have purchased have been on ebay including mills. Reliant Tool on ebay is worth watching for mill and tool deals, Enco has been helpfull. If you need help with anything specific, don't hesitate to email me.

Best Wishes

Chuck M

Hello Brian,

You'd asked about suppliers. I've had good luck dealing with MSC, Travers, and Enco.

I've had good service from http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Online-Metal-Supply__W0QQ_armrsZ1

They are in Houston, MO. You can find other metal suppliers on Ebay.

12L14 leaded steel is a good choice for steel as it machines much easier than 1018.

Also, buy very good name brand taps. You probably know all this anyway, but I wanted to mention it.

Good luck and keep asking questions as that is what makes this group interesting.

Regards,

Chuck

Latest posts

Back