Good supplier of carbide end mills?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

Reaction score
I am more and more tuning to solid carbide end mill cutters for a number of tasks. I am sold on their longevity and especially their rigidity, despite the cost, which can be pretty wicked.

I would like to place a rather large order for various styles including roughers, and am wondering if any of you guys have a favorite supplier of carbide, especially in the USA.

In the past, I've ordered from American carbide http://www.american-carbide.com/ and have been happy. Inputs appreciated. I am familiar with MSC and ENCO and have their catalogues. Thanks.

Kurt

I've been using the Atrax endmills from Enco, which have held up pretty well except when I fubar and break them. I also have a number of OSG endmills I picked up in an auction lot, and they are excellent too.

I have had very good results buying carbide tools on ebay from:

drillman1 (his ebay name)
Carbide Plus (his company name)
Oliver Sparkman
Georgetown, TX 78628 United States

Here is a link to one of their ebay sales pages:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-0-70mm-0276-2-FLUTE-MICRO-CARBIDE-ENDMILLS-/380352107510

Here is a link to his ebay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/CARBIDE-PLUS?_trksid=p4340.l2563

He sells and ships world wide, I buy all my carbide tools from him, either directly or on his ebay special sales.
George

I've been using Kennametal mills and Coromat inserts for 3 years now and I find the price\longevity ratio unbeatable.

I also still use HSS for highly interupted cuts and removing rusty, scaled outer surfaces.

Cheers,
Chazz

I've had very good service life from Atrax carbide end mills. I usually get them from Enco, who seem to
have the kind I like on sale fairly often, too.

Dean

Ditto on the Atrax-- I mostly get them used from a commercial shop (yay, free!, and if they use them they can't be junk) and they have lots of useful life left. Even buying them new isn't too bad on the pocketbook.

Frank Mari at Maritool.com has good stuff for good prices. I am just a satisfied customer, with several orders under my belt.

Thanks again, guys, I found some good carbide mills from a couple of places, and also found (again) that eBay is a good source, especially folk who are trying to sell off tool-room new old stock. I picked up 11 new carbide Niagra end mills for less than $3 each.

One thing I haven't found, and I don't even know if they are made... a 1/8" carbide rougher. Most of them start at 1/4". The reason I ask is that I have some pocketing to do with 1/16" radius corners. I could rough with a 1/4" mill and finish 1/8", but it'd be nice to locate some proper 1/8" roughers. Also, the spindle I use is a 50,000 RPM HF spindle, and is happiest with 1/8" cutters at high speed, so a 1/8" rougher would be an excellent addition to my tooling.

Kurt

Latest posts

Back