Getting a bit wet.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maskell

Reaction score
G Day everyone,
Well Bundaberg is in the biggest flood in 70 years. The peak was to be 7.8m but last night it got to 7.9m and when I went to the creek crossing near our place the road is blocked by 5-600 mm with water backed up from the river and was slowly rising.
My business has prehaps 6'' of water through it at present but I cant get in to town to do anything so it looks like a shed day today.
Our house and shed etc are high and dry.
We went into the business 2 days ago and lifted everything up higher and bought computers etc home, I had already tilt trayed the fork lift and my lathe and milling machine home here where I will set them up permanently.
Its not so bad having to hose a shed out but I feel for the 400 odd home owners who have to clean out a house and have nowhere to go.
Some homes are completely covered by water.
Just heard that we have hit the peak at 7.9m but it will stay at the peak for 24-36 hrs.

Lance

Lance,

To you and all Banana Benders we feel your pain. Floods are so heart breaking because things look OK superficially.

We were going to come North in January; but from the news there are enough idiots trying to drive in the floodwaters, without us adding to the mix.

Best Regards
Bob

What a mess, Lance. Glad your home is okay, but sorry to hear about the business. I hope things turn out well for you, and for all our down south friends.

Thanks everyone,
I have had a friend call past to check on the business shed and we have 12'' of water in there at present but the water is not getting any higher now.
I will still have a day or so to tidy up my home shed by the look of things, then I hope to have some time to put some machining shavings on the floor.
The mill is in place and the lathe is in place now to shift some engines and do a big sweep out and I may be right to go. My home shed is 300 square metres close to 80ft by 40ft in imperial and after a year or so pulling up at the door and dropping something near the door and going again it did need a big clean up and it has been a big job.
Just practice for the flooded one. ;D
Lance

Glad to hear the damage was minimal Lance.

In 1996 we had a 100 year storm roll through here.
A competitors machine shop had 6 feet of water in it.

Even "Good Old American Greed" bowed out for that event.
Other local machine shops pitched in to help them with the clean up and
repairs to their machine tools.

There was no damage to my home but my parents had water level with the
top of the mattresses in the bedrooms. They lost everything they owned.
Flood insurance put a price on it and they received a check.
There are things money can't replace.

Floods Stink!

Rick

Hi Lance
good to see you are ok
I know a lot are not
If you ever get down my way drop in for a beer
Pete

We were allowed into the workshop today, we ended up with only 5'' of water go through the place and spent most of the day with a pressure cleaner in hand and Judy (wife) and Sally (wifes friend) with mops and buckets etc.
I had put a pump in the pit on the wash bay and as the water went down it kicked in with the float and had drained the inside by the time we got there.
All things considered we had a good day. there is still quite a few houses covered and they will need help in a day or so.
To put the flood in perspective, it is the biggest since 1942 in Bundaberg and water is going down in Emerald and Rockhampton still has it comming.
The total flooded area in Queensland is twice the size of Victoria or there is more area covered than Germany and France combined.
I got a speeding fine on the way to the shop, not paying attention to the 80k sign and was still going 100k a few hundred metres past the sign. I was just a bit keen to see what was at work (we had reports from 4'' to over 2 ft).
He was a good bloke with a sense of humour.
P. What speed were you doing
L. 100 I reckon
P. what is the speed limit here?
L. 100 I think (then I looked up and saw the 80 sign) but by the look of that sing its 80
P Yes.
P. Do you have your licence on you.
I just looked up to see my wife Judy coming along
L. Its in this ute coming up here.
So I waved her over and she had my licence in her hand by then. So I gave my licence to a grinning but supprised cop.
He asked the usual questions about where I lived and put the breath test and where was I going.
I told him I was a bit keen to see my business and was on my way to clean it up.
He informed me due to being 20k over the speed he would not be able to give me a warning and would have to book me.
I replied yeah no problems there and I knew what speed I was doing, and off he went to write the ticket and check me out.
On his return he said here is your ticket but I took it down to 90k as the fine was only 1 demerit point and $130.00.
I thanked him for his generosity and he said he didnt get many happy customers and good luck with the clean up.
We sat and had a beer this afternoon after a good and satisfying day.
Tomorrow or the next day will be put everything back to ground level and hook up the computer network and phones etc.
Lance :)

The news we are seeing from Oz seems to indicate that things are getting worse over there, rather than better. Hopefully all our fellow Australian members and their families are safe and well.

Pete

Latest posts

Back