GEARS--Something all modelers should be aware of---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have recently been on a quest for gears to use on my models. This is something that I didn't know about. Pretty well all battery powered powertools have a whole whack of gears in them, and they are all excellent sizes for use in model engines. ALL of the disassembled gears in the attached picture came out of ONE power drill. They combine into one nest of planetary gears, similar to the assembled stack that I have shown. I went over and did a little creative begging at the local tool repair shop, and he gave me a whole basket full of these things, just for asking---they were destined for the garbage pickup.---Brian
gears001.jpg

gears005.jpg

Hi Brian
I have also a planetary coming from a starting motor of an car engine...Waiting for a project...!!!! :big: :big: :big:

those would be cool on an engine like Elmer's #5 Geared steam engine

Let's see ... if that's all out of a cordless drill then the outer diameter is what, 1-1/2 inches or so? That's a whole passel of transmission in a pretty small package. A side thought went through my mind (and, like most thoughts, got lost because that's uncharted territory) about how much power that could handle followed by needing to find a tool repair center here.

Its going to be interesting to see what you do with these, Brian.

Best regards,

Kludge

Dang, I've thrown away probably 5 cordless drills since you can buy a whole new drill for the price of a replacement battery!

Chuck

Very often in a cordless only 1 or 2 cells are dead - Split the battery and bridge out the dead cells and give your drill a new (if a bit slower life)

Even the cells are standard Ncd and can be replaced on an individual basis much cheaper.

rickharris said:
Very often in a cordless only 1 or 2 cells are dead - Split the battery and bridge out the dead cells and give your drill a new (if a bit slower life)

Just a note of caution, if you do that and just bridge one or more dead cells in any battery pack you risk at best overheating when charging and at worst explosion by charging at too high a voltage for the now-modified battery pack.

Better to do this,
Even the cells are standard Ncd and can be replaced on an individual basis much cheaper.

Tim

Ah yes, planetary gears. They always make me think of the gorgeous 5C collet chuck Messr King made:

5CChuck1.jpg

5CChuck6.jpg

Always thought it was a cool project. It's made from a planetary set from an automatic transmission. These are also readily available, very cheap, and suitable for larger scale projects.

Cheers,

BW

Latest posts

Back