Gavel???

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
My good friend Arnold from out in Tooele built, and sent me a picture of this thing. I do not know what it is, but Arnold is a nice religious man so I suspect that it might be a Gavel to call a rowdy Sunday School class to order.

scan0002-1.jpg

Birk

I like that!

Way back when, I walked into a certain Colonel's office and saw a walnut stand with a
WW2 pineapple grenade mounted on it. Under the pin was an ivory tag with the number 1
engraved on it.

The brass plaque on the front of the walnut stand read:

"Complaint Department - Please take a Number"

To the best of my knowledge he dealt with very few complaints. LOL

Rick

Rick, I like that. Wonder where I could get a "de-activated" pineapple?
It would make a great gift for the teacher who is retiring.
...lew...

Lew Hartswick said:
Rick, I like that. Wonder where I could get a "de-activated" pineapple?
It would make a great gift for the teacher who is retiring.
...lew...

Oh their not hard to come by.....
Dummy Pineapple Grenade

I know Patriots Point in Charelston SC sells the fake grenades. Probably any kind of war museum that sells souvenirs. I have never seen a real grenade but the pineapple style they sell looks real but is hollow with a large hole in the bottom. They also have the round ones.

I could use a gavel like that at some of the meetings I attend!

Frank

I'm a little slow in responding, but here is my version of a Complaint Department.

P4120002.jpg

When the red button is pushed the trap snaps and makes a loud noise,the button pusher really jumps, but I have a little tab welded between the jaws and they only close about half way, so no one gets their fingers pinched. It is a popular item at our house especially among the kids, and they are always bringing other friends to get them to push the button.

I would bet most every army-surplus store sells the fake / practice grenades. They look like real grenade shells with used fuses inserted and the bottom ground off to prevent explosives from being contained.

Some dude walked into the police dept here with a fake grenade. He just wanted it disposed of safely. As soon as someone saw him walk in everyone hit the deck, the place was locked down and the bomb squad was brought in. I would be careful about wanting to own a fake grenade. This is Canada mind you. We are not used to folks walking around with weapons.

Yeah! Things have changed here too. Growing up as a kid, dynamite was readily available and as teenagers we'd get a few sticks and use them for firecrackers. We'd get quite a bang out of them. We were very careful and never hurt anyone, just had a bunch of booming fun. Now if you are even caught with a stick in your possession, you will probably end up in prison. It seems there are a few dumb ones who do nasty things with explosives and ruin it for everybody.
Birk

All Thumbs
I have been pondering your story of the fellow taking the fake grenade into the police station ever since I read it, and I have a question.

It seems only a dummy would take a dummy grenade to a police station to dispose of it safely. If it was a dummy, wouldn't already be safe??? I do not know about things like that, I've never been in your part of Canada.

There are all kinds of dummies on this planet....some things can not be explained.

“The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.”—Harlan Ellison

“The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order.”— Uri Geller

“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”-–Frank Zappa

Latest posts

Back