New guy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny Monroy

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am Manny from La Puente CA
Been machining since my fascinating opportunity to take a shop class in the B7 the older members should remember that grade
I am not nor have I ever been a certified Machinist due to an uncontrollable circumstance called the Nam
In my 40s I did regain my interest in my hobbies and baught a guitar first the Harbor freight I baught a milk/drill wow what memories
Eventually I baught an old Clausung Lathe with one lateral speed… slow moving
I can write forever so in short hope to make some buds and try to enjoy this hobby for me
It’s sad they don’t teach this trade in junior and high schools anymore
Long live America
USMC

Hi everyone I am Manny from La Puente CA
Been machining since my fascinating opportunity to take a shop class in the B7 the older members should remember that grade
I am not nor have I ever been a certified Machinist due to an uncontrollable circumstance called the Nam
In my 40s I did regain my interest in my hobbies and baught a guitar first the Harbor freight I baught a milk/drill wow what memories
Eventually I baught an old Clausung Lathe with one lateral speed… slow moving
I can write forever so in short hope to make some buds and try to enjoy this hobby for me
It’s sad they don’t teach this trade in junior and high schools anymore
Long live America
USMC
Welcome to the group

Dave

Welcome.
I thought I was going to have to do the Nam thing, but luckily it ended right before I came of age.
I really thought I was going to be a gonner on that deal.

I remember finding out that other high schools in our city had shop classes, but not my high school.
It was considered beneath our high school to teach such things.
Oddly enough our high school was a feeder into a connected college that was an engineering school, so it would have made perfect sense for my high school to emphasize all things technical, but that was not the case.

Engineering skills do not come out of a textbook that is full of math; you have to learn engineering in the real world, working on things, and finding out the difference between hypothetical math equations and reality.

Glad to have you.

Pick an engine/project, and lets get started.

Pat J.

Last edited:
Welcome Manny,
I was lucky enough to attend a high school that held "Industrial Arts" classes. Freshman thru Junior years and I took all that were offered. Drafting, woodwork and metal work were taught. It was the ground work for a 30 year career in aerospace after my tour in the Corps. Semper fi my friend.

Welcome.
While they had IA in the high school I went to, I never took it. My Dad was a shop teacher but wasn't at the high school when I was. We got the basics and more at home. I don't remember there being a machine shop, but Dad taught wood shop and small engine repair. I took mechanical drawing which served me well.
Locally we have "Tech Centers" which teach trades, although I'm not sure machine shop is in there.
What are you building?
Doug

Latest posts

Back