Gas Engine Plans from Germany

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So finally....the plans from CAD-Modelltechnik-Jung were delivered today, in fact, just a few minutes ago.

I was very surprised that the parts listings, etc. were "translated" into English. Now I have to find out the American equivalents for all the alloys called for in the drawings. I think "silver-steel" is drill rod, but I'm not sure.

Is there a place on this forum that lists American equivalents for European alloys?

The drawings are quality prints, and very clearly presented. I bought the 90 degree, V-6 glow-plug engine. At least I have the drawings, but this particular engine build will be in the future...when I have more skills.

Happy ending.

Frank

Yes Silver Steel is drill rod

Google is your best bet to find out the metal specs I suspect most will be 6082 or 6081 with the conrods in 2014.

Just type something like "AlSi1MgMn equivalent" into google

Yes...JasonB:

I noticed they call for specific alloy formulas, and, name the elements used to make that alloy. Is this a common practice on drawings from Europe?

I will Google the designations, as you suggest. Thanks for the tip.

Frank

Depends on the part of Europe, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, UK all have their own "standard" that may be quoted, yours is most liekly the DIN standard which does go some way to telling you how the metal is made up rather than a string of numbers.

J

Yes, I also see that DIN qualification. I learn something new everyday.

Bottom line, are these alloys available in the USA? My guess would be, yes...but it might involve a search.

Frank

Should be available either exact or close enough for our needs.

Latest posts

Back