Gas Engine Plans from Germany

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Frank,
What is it you're planning on doing with the engine? By that I mean is it for a flying model or just to build a V twin? If it's the later I have good complete drawings for a V twin that has the complete build article on this forum.
gbritnell

Hi Gbritnell

I have good complete drawings for a V twin that has the complete build article on this forum

are these plans like a HOG engine do you have the link to that post
I'm interested

cheers

Hi again Luc,
Here is a video taken by someone else at a local antique engine show.
[ame]http://youtu.be/FTtyO_voUU0[/ame]
gbritnell

Thanks awsome work as usual
what are the procedures to follow to get a set of plans

thanks

Hi Luc,
Contact me offline at: [email protected] and I'll give you the particulars about the drawing set.
Thanks,
George

Thanks to all my forum friends for offering suggestions, plans, links, etc. I am aware of the other choices for a V-Twin engine, ans I am a big fan of both the Britnell, and the Hoglett V-2 engines. I watch the videos all the time.

The Schilling, V-2 caught my eye because it looked like a simpler, and more easily machined, engine to build. My machining skills are stuck in "basic" mode, and I figured that I would start with an engine that doesn't require complicated gearing, camshafts, cams, push-rods, valving, lifters, etc. I also uses timing belts for the 2:1 reduction of shaft speed, like the Nemett-"Lynx".

In any event, the plans were ordered, and I also ordered a model engine book, written in German, that show pictures of other European model engines, including the Schilling, Single-Cylinder. Both the V-2, and Single Cylinder are air-cooled. No radiators, water pumps, etc. to build either. Besides, I like looking at pictures.

The drawings will be in my hands by mid-July...I hope. Stay tuned. I still need suggestions for the cam timing specs. and the pistons, which I learned, were left out of the drawings.

This engine better be worth all this time, and trouble.

Thanks again,

Frank

I would have thought the Schillins with its four overhead camshafts was more complicated than a pushrod Hoglets single camshaft and cutting five toothed pullies is no easier than two timing gears:confused:

Wow....I thought I would be able to order some toothed pulleys, and belts from a company like Stock Drive Products. The cams...if too complicated for my skill level, I will just do another engine, or get help from some friends. I have the "Hoglett", and the "Lynx" plans as an alternative. At least I'll have the Schilling V-2 drawings when I need them.

Frank

You may well be able to order the pullies but then again you could also order the gears from the likes of Boston gear, I expect they will have metric pullies as well as imperial.

I would have said that an imperial engine would be easier for a beginner in the states as there is no changing of fixings or modification of holes/shafts to suit stock imperial sizes rather than have to machine imperial down to the metric sizes on the drawing

J

No not the same engine the one Frank is looking at is Overhead valves with a timing belt not a single cam with pushrods though there are a lot of other similarities.

jschmuck....

Thanks for the link. This is the same site that was noted in post No. 3. I will be ordering plans from this company also. I'm thinking of ordering the V-6. It looks like an extended version on the V-2. I wonder if I could make a V-2 from the V-6 plans? These two engines look very similarly constructed. The Schilling V-2, however, is different.

Too bad I had already placed an order with VHT-Verlag. But no matter...I like having plenty of drawings in the "archives" from which to choose the next project.

Frank

John

Why? Look at those OH camshafts....plural....as in "two" They look too difficult! At my skill level, I'll be lucky to machine, one. I have very serious doubts about making two. Then, there's eight of everything else. The V-6 "looks" like the V-2, and I will start with the V-Twin first, then work myself up the the V-6....maybe.

Time is also a factor. I will be using someone else's shop, machines, tooling, and will only be working on these engines when the shop is available. My friend, (who owns the shop) is in the middle of building a triple-compound, launch engine, and is also putting the finishing touches on a steam train, scaled like the old Cagney. It's so big he has it on a modified, hydraulic, car-lift. So, I have many limitations, and my schedule depends on him. I no longer have my own, personal shop. If I set-up a machine to make a part, I have to finish that part, on that day. That's a PIA. I can't/won't leave without returning the lathe, mill, etc. back into a usable condition, just in case he needs his tools to machine a part for himself. There's also clean-up time factored into this equation. Machining is all set ups, and, clean ups, and slowly removing any metal that's not needed. Time consuming when you are a guest in someone's shop.

But before I make the first chips fly, I will cut my teeth on a far simpler engine build than a V-8. I have a V-4 Flame-Licker in mind. I saw an engine on You-Tube that I'd like to try first, before any gas engine build. No fuel mixers, camshafts, wires, spark-plugs, carbs. etc. Simple, like me.

By the way, (stupid question coming....) is there a "distributor" involved with these V-2 thru V-8 engines? I don't see one. Do these engines work off some kind of sensors that trip a spark across the plugs? Are these glow-plug engines?

Educate me, please.

Frank

My original post and intent was by no means trying to compare a V2 to a V6 or V8, the latter two are much more involved than the V2.

To put it another way, by the time I felt confident enough (brave enough:p) to tackle a V6 I would rather build a V8 by far. As for the extra two cylinders (and everything that goes with it) the main work will be; to setup, figure out the bugs, figure out how to machine it, ect. Once that is done it will not take as much time to machine the 2 other ( or more) parts once you have the setup figured out.

As for the overhead CAM don't look at it with the skills you have now (this is not a project for the inexperienced) but when you do have the skills and hopefully the tools to undertake such a project. Like I said this is future V6 vs V8 comparison not a present comparison.

John.

Last edited:
John Rus...

Happy to read not only all your comments, and suggestions, but the comments from all the other members as well.

Your points a well received, and in fact you suggest things that I are very logical. The main reason for ordering the V-6 engine was that it was an expansion of the V-2 configuration. The V-8 looks like a differently designed engine. With the V-6, I had a choice of either making just two cylinders, or, the whole 6 cylinders....so, two engines for the price of a one set of drawings. The company e-mailed me and confirmed that the V-6 is the V-2 engine, with four more cylinders. I'm not experienced enough to know if I could do a V-2 from the V-8 plans. Probably could, but I just don't know. Either way, these engines will be in my future.

I still can't yet "think" like a machinist, and everything at this point, is confusing, and requires me to devote lots of hours of thinking about what I need to do, what tools do I need, etc. to make some engine parts. My more experienced machinist friend, just looks at the drawings, and says...."OK....no problems....here's what has to be done". Then, some hours later, we have the parts. Not me. not yet.

When the plans are mailed, they will eventually go into my "archives" where I file drawings for "Engine Builds for the Future".

Check out the website: CAD-Modelltechnik-Jung. Not only do they have very nicely designed model engines, and, drawings, but also list parts for their line of engines.

Thanks for all the input from the forum members. I need it, and appreciate the interest.

Frank

No problem! I am not a machinist but have been working with my Dad in construction and woodworking since I was 9, I have to follow blueprints all the time which many times are nothing more than a rough sketch and 'you figure out the rest'. One thing I noticed about metalworking is that much of the same principles apply to both metal and woodworking and I relate to it very quickly, I even have thought of building a V8 for my first project but restrain mostly because of time constraints more anything else. But I will construct one make no mistake!

Personally I would save me some math and get the engine that I want than hack an existing plan if I don't have to.

Cheers ,
John.

Last edited:
Hi, I did purchasse a set of plans for Gbritnell for the V TWIN
very nice and well documented. Thm:

I have no problem sugesting them to other builders;)

Still trying to confirm the orders for drawings from both VHT-Verlag, and CAD-Modelltechnik-Jung. Paid through Pay-Pal, and still, I have problems, with exchange rates, VAT, added/hidden tariffs, and other EU crap. Nothing but E-mails to and from Germany for the last two days asking for information already provided with original order.

I never ordered any drawings from Germany before. I hope all this nonsense is not a typical experience. These web-sites were not user friendly, and I finally had to get help from someone who can read and speak German just to place a order, and I still have problems even though I have provided them with the correct information, account numbers, etc.

Will this have a happy ending? The final chapter will yet be written. Just, too much work.

Frank

Latest posts

Back