G Day From Bundaberg

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maskell

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Lance (another one) Maskell and I live in Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia. I am a diesel fitter tractor mechanic by trade and own a small field service repair business and a tractor parts sales business as well.
One of my hobbies is restoring vintage stationary engines and in the process of repairing them I like to make everything I can, best way to learn is to have a go!. My favorite engines are the IHC vertical famous water cooled hit and miss. That is what brought me here. Over the last few months and a lot of thought I have decided to make a 1/4 scale copy of the 3hp Famous from scratch. I dont know if Im up to it but with help and well directed advise I think we can get there.
Here is a pic of the engines lined up at a show, A good looking bloke much like myself with them and the start of proceedings with an ERTL model Famous, the cylinder started and the square stock I started with.
I have a lathe, Drill press, flywheel grinder , cylinder head surfacer, manifold grinder and other assorted stuff. I am in meetings with the leader of the opposition at present regarding the purchase of a milling machine. I have to make up my mind as to what to buy yet.
Anyhow thats it for now I will post progress shots as they become available.

Lance

DSC01874000.jpg

DSC01872000.jpg

Start of Cylinder.jpg

Lance : welcome to the board interesting background.
I dont know if Im up to it but with help and well directed advise I think we can get there.
come on lance cant give up the race righ out of the gate. Giver er a go mate.just think of it as a 100% restore . Just build one piece at a time. . Make a part . then another to fit the first and keep going until the paint is dry and the engines is running.
Tin

Lance,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Nice town. From memory it has a steam cane train ride for tourists. ??? Many years since I was there.

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to HMEN Lance.

Good pictures of the Famous, but what kind of individual would paint an IH engine blue?

Good luck with your model build.
Stan

Thankyou everyone,
Stan, the blue one is an International Famous nonpareil 1911, and they were blue and sold under the Osbourne name. They didnt have gold flywheels though that was just me getting excited.

Bob, The steam train still runs at the botanical gardens and they have how added a Bert Hinkler museum there as well.

Lance

Hi Lance
Welcome to HMEM from Brisbane
u will enjoy this site, The people are friendly and the standard is way up there
(well except for a few who shall remane nameless lol)
see u around the ridges
Pete.

Latest posts

Back