Friends and Inspirations

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobWarfield

Reaction score
If your're like me, you have a day job to attend to and the shop work is "just" a hobby. You'd like to spend full time on it, but it just isn't in the cards for this stage of life. Worse, your day job can sometimes leave you feeling too exhausted to make your way down to the shop and show any progress on your favorite hobby and associated projects.

There are a couple of things I find help to motivate me. First, I have discovered quite accidentally, that if I will just go down to the shop and start trying to do something, even cleaning up the shop, I get some energy just from being in the shop. Even after a hard day. Somehow the change of pace in switching from day job to the hands on of the shop can really energize me.

Second, are friends and inspirations. I have been lucky in that I am blessed by having a lot of friends in the hobby. Here on this board a number of you post articles and send PM"s that make me smile and perk me up. Right here on these boards, Wes (PowderKeg) sent me a note saying he'd sent me a "round tuit" in the mail. I don't know what it is, but I know someone else thought of me and packed me up a gift of inspiration to make of it what I will. That was a day or two ago. Now today I got in and found a note from the Fidgeting Widgetmaster, a regular CNCZone contributor. His note was short and sweet:

Wake up BOB!
It's time to go out ito the workshop and tinker!

Eric

Eric is an extremely talented retired machinist whom I've learned an awful lot from. His work is beautiful and I aspire one day to one tenth of his talent. It means a lot to me that he decided to send me this note. Not sure what pushed him to do it, but he is absolutely right. It is time for me to wake up, go out to the workshop, and tinker.

There are others who read and enjoy my CNCCookbook ramblings, and who I owe the debt of inspiration to. Peter Tsukamoto, for example, owns a machine shop in Honolulu, and has patiently taken time out to educate me on a lot of the topics I write about on CNCCookbook. I've learned a lot from Peter and really value the dialog he offers.

One of the great things about this site is that almost every post is like having these kinds of friends and inspirations. The nature of the site is to accentuate the positive and discourage the negative.

Thanks to all of you, and to my special friends and inspirations for giving me the inspiration I need to push hard on my hobby despite whatever demands my day job may require of me.

Cheers,

BW

Well said Bob. There are many special friends here and this forum sure gives me a lot of inspiration.

I also received a "round tuit" from Wes. A great gift for no reason other than talking about getting round to doing some projects.

I think it would be great if we could all get together sometime. Can you imagine over 1000 model engine builders under one roof? :big:

Regards,
Bernd

;D well here ya go

roundtuit1.jpg

RoundTuit.jpg

tuit.gif

now you have one ;D ;D :big:

Latest posts

Back