For a semi-newbie castings or barstock/scratch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enginebob

Reaction score
First off I call myself a semi newbie because I cut metal for the first time yesterday!! ;D :D ;) :) With the help of a family friend I cleaned up some castings and just did what I was told to do. Well anyway I was wondering if it would be better to get the casting kit or the bar stock for this steamer I am considering for my first/second project.
EB

I like bar stock projects because when I screw up a part beyond recovery I cry a LOT less. ;)

EB,

Castings are the most expensive way to add to your "Wall of Learning" collection. Bar stock may be easier on your wallet as you start out.

When an unrecoverable error occurs barstock is easier to replace. Ask me how I know. ;D ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Yes, it's easier to replace a botched part if you're working with bar stock.

However, another consideration is the experience required to work with castings. Establishing reference surfaces, planning cuts around existing features, etc. all require a level of forethought and experience probably not present in someone who admits to not having cut much metal.

Back