Fly cutter question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kquiggle

Reaction score
I considering getting a fly cutter for a Sieg X2 mini-mill. Should I be looking at a fly cutter with an R8 shaft, or go with a straight shaft and use a collet? Does it make a difference?

I would go for the integral R8 tool, more solid so handles heavier and interrupted cuts without vibration. I would only uses a collet mounted fly cutter on light cuts.
Emgee

I have a set of fly cutters purchased at LMS. I use them with the 1/2" collet and they work fine altough I usually make light cuts wit every pass. They are not so if your budget is tight you can buy that set and have a good tool set, if money is not such a concern i think that the R8 tool is better

Upsides of an R8 mount is better rigidity and you won't spin the shank in the collet. Upside of a straight shank is you need less clearance over the work to change cutters. Tool change clearance can be a major concern working with table top mills.

Thanks for the insightful comments. I was leaning towards the R8 mount, but I wasn't sure it was worth the extra cost. Now I'm thinking I'll go with one of the R8 mounts, and add additional ones as (and if) I need them.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back