First Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack Captain Jerry's thread, here is a video of my first steam engine. It's a double action oscillator, 1/2" bore. I built it in the early 1990's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WCeGLTmTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WCeGLTmTs[/ame]

Anybody else got pictures or videos of their early engines?

Chuck

My very first engine was the McCabe Runner.
I didn't have a home shop at that time.
All the parts were made with a drill press, files, emery cloth
and a Dremel tool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrOUH-V8urg[/ame]

Rick

Nice first timer Rick---Like they say "You always remember your first!!! ;D ;D" my first was one of Elmers engines, built with my then new lathe---I didn't have the mill yet. I tried some milling in the lathe when I built this, and thats what decided me to go out and purchase a mill.---Brian EDIT Whoops---Sorry about that Chuck--I didn't see that it was you and not Rick that started this thread.

Chuck

First ones are still fun. Your post is exactly what I was trying to provoke with the "anything goes" thread. Lets see more.

Jerry

David Goodfellows' Brassy Babe (with a few mods)--

Engine004.jpg

i have 2 videos of engines
the first engine is one my dad made for me about 30 years ago, he didn't have a lathe at the time.
he just used files and the drillpress.

this next engine is one i built about 20 years ago and it is my second steam engine, it is an engine that edgar westbury posted plans for in model engineer back in 1967. it is a double acting wobbler.

the video quality is kinda poor (i think my camera is getting old) none the less i hope you enjoy they 2 vids

chuck

I know steam engines are the major interest here, but I never spent much time on them, I think mostly because I know very little about them. My interest was in IC engines.

I really didn't want to post this, it is a Topsy Turvy built about 15 or more years ago. It started as a group project; but the group didn't come through and I ended up doing this one on my own. The block was started on by another fellow in the group and he left the block a little on the long side (13/16" IIRC) and I had to redrill some of the holes along with a few other changes. I think this is the only running engine out of about six that were started. It isn't the first engine I started on; but was the first finished and running.

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

Looking at the pictures, you'll see why I wasn't going to post. The workmanship is not even close to what is seen on this site, and the engine is in need of a major cleanup. It has a fair number of running hours on it, and is missing the fuel tank and water tank.

Now, I'm gonna have to put this on my list to get it cleaned up and back on it's shelf where it belongs, instead of a corner in the back of the shop!

Kevin

Kevin,

I love the Topsy Turvey. I may have to build one someday.

Chuck

My first engine is still not finished. I started it in the middle of 2006. It will someday be a 1932 Bugatti. There are a few things i am planning to upgrade now that i have the courage to attempt. Some of those being water jackets, better cylinder liners with rings instead of orings.

Someday :)

Steve

DSCN0778.JPG

DSCN0779.JPG

DSCN0428.JPG

DSCN0646.JPG

My first engine was this Dave Gingery stirling. I have built some others but still find this one to be the easiest to use to explain stirlings to the un-initiated.

2cylinderstirlingro8.jpg

here is my very first engine a wobler. i was so excited when i finished it and it worked.
now im hooked ;D :bow:

P1010668.jpg

I quess this is my first engine..............a piece of copper pipe and a burner. Can not get simpler then that! I found the plans here: http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/buildpop.htm a few years ago. When I made the hull it was shiny, and I wanted an antique look, so I put it in a plastic bag with a cup of water and left it for a few months. Presto! nice and rusty. It runs amazingly well.

P2040041.jpg

A close-up of the "Engine"
P2040042.jpg

Check out the Dual Jet Pipes
P2040039.jpg

After I made this I was hooked and got my lathe and mill shortly after.

IronHorse

What a neat :bow: :bow: :bow: little boat :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards

Philly

Totally agree, Philly.

I had one when I was a small person (We had just upgraded from the whole dugout thing so boatbuilding was still pretty new. :big:) and played with it (as in adjusting the coil, changing the burner to a candle which didn't help etc) until it broke mo' badder than I could fix at the time. It had completely slipped my mind until IronHorse brought his in for show and tell.

Simplicity in the upmost!

Best regards,

Kludge

By golly I had a little tin boat like that back around '54. Great fun and, like Kludge, fixed on it til it wuz broke.

I think I'll retire out to the shop and make meself another one!!

Pete

IronHorse that is a great example of a water impulse engine.
I can see how that project would get you hooked on building more.
Nice work!

Rick

My first engine was a duel action wobbler. It's a great engine to start out with and fun to build.

IMG_4801.JPG

Now I'm hooked. I'm currently working on a horizontal mill engine and a two cylinder wobbler. A great way to pass a long Pennsylvania winter.

Hi all.
A picture of my first steam/compressed air engine to actually run. Was more than pleased when it ran for the first time
02150001-Copy.jpg

Regards
Ernie J

Shopguy said:
Hi all.
A picture of my first steam/compressed air engine to actually run. Was more than pleased when it ran for the first time

Now here's a case of delightfully understated blingification - just enough to be contrasty without so much as to be gaudy. What kind of paint did you use on this, Ernie?

BEst regards,

Kludge

Hi Kludge

If I remember correctly the paint on that engine was green enamel for metal. Just wanted enough to set of the flywheel, fluted connecting rod etc.

Regards

Ernie J

Latest posts

Back