Finishing up my version of Arduino indexer for dummies.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been over a year and a half since I started gathering material / parts for my version of Arduino indexer for dummies.
Today I finally put it together and it works I think ? Well at least the stepper motor and chuck goes around its a start.
DSC00090.JPG
🤔
DSC00088.JPG
DSC00089.JPG

Last edited:
That is something I would like to learn.

Seems like that controller is simple enough that a hobby person could figure it out relatively easily.

That is something I would like to learn.

Seems like that controller is simple enough that a hobby person could figure it out relatively easily.

You would have no problem like me as I read in your other post you have program PLC (Programmable Logic Controllers) if I am not mistaken (or as we used to call them back in the 70's early 80's PC. (programmable controllers not personal computers). I have program them using assembly language , basic and ladder logic which I find the easiest to program.

Last edited:
Right now I am struggling to understand one of the software version that are roaming around. It does not do what I (we) want it to do.
( Looks like you need to tension your timining belt :) too. )

If you would you could check if your indexer makes a good full round when you try 3, 4, 17 and 23 divisions?
And if you are able to go multiple rounds with it without getting slowly off with your position.
Also I am interested in the stepper resolution you are using.

Greetings Timo

Right now I am struggling to understand one of the software version that are roaming around. It does not do what I (we) want it to do.
( Looks like you need to tension your ng timinibelt :) too. )

If you would you could check if your indexer makes a good full round when you try 3, 4, 17 and 23 divisions?
And if you are able to go multiple rounds with it without getting slowly off with your position.
Also I am interested in the stepper resolution you are using.

Greetings Timo
In my opinion and again this is my opinion I am no expert on this you are asking a 8 bit micro to do the work of a 16 or 32 bit micro.
My version of Arduino indexer for dummies does what I ( My daughter) needs it to do for the laser engraver. Rotate item's 90, 180 , 270 deg from start and not to cut gears.
I am sorry I am no help but there are others on here with more knowledge than me that can.
Keep at it I am sure you will get it done.

( Looks like you need to tension your timing belt too. ) The timing belt is fine but you are right in the photo it looks like its going to fall off.

stepper resolution = 200 full steps per revolution (1.8° step angle) / half step controller setting = 400 steps per revolution x 2 for 2 to 1 timing pulleys = 800 steps per revolution. So for 180 deg as shown in pic #1 400 out of 800 = 180 deg.
Here is food for thought I wounder in your application a 3 phase stepper motor would work better then the standard 2 phase stepper ?🤔

Last edited:
In my opinion and again this is my opinion I am no expert on this you are asking a 8 bit micro to do the work of a 16 or 32 bit micro.
My version of Arduino indexer for dummies does what I ( My daughter) needs it to do for the laser engraver. Rotate item's 90, 180 , 270 deg from start and not to cut gears.
I am sorry I am no help but there are others on here with more knowledge than me that can.
Keep at it I am sure you will get it done.

( Looks like you need to tension your timing belt too. ) The timing belt is fine but you are right in the photo it looks like its going to fall off.

stepper resolution = 200 full steps per revolution (1.8° step angle) / half step controller setting = 400 steps per revolution x 2 for 2 to 1 timing pulleys = 800 steps per revolution. So for 180 deg as shown in pic #1 400 out of 800 = 180 deg.
Here is food for thought I wounder in your application a 3 phase stepper motor would work better then the standard 2 phase stepper ?🤔

Hello,

if you only want to do the 90° divisions you probably will not face any of the problems, others had with gear cutting.

Greetings Timo

It has been over a year and a half since I started gathering material / parts for my version of Arduino indexer for dummies.
Today I finally put it together and it works I think ? Well at least the stepper motor and chuck goes around its a start. View attachment 152944🤔View attachment 152940View attachment 152941
This looks really nice, are you using the sketch that Timo modified to pick up the missing steps to make sure you end up where you started on a 360 degree circle? I plan on using my setup to cut the last 4 gears I need for my current project. Thanks for sharing!

This looks really nice, are you using the sketch that Timo modified to pick up the missing steps to make sure you end up where you started on a 360 degree circle? I plan on using my setup to cut the last 4 gears I need for my current project. Thanks for sharing!
Apologies for the delayed response, I've been busy with the good old honey do list.
Thank you for the compliment. After posting the pictures on the forum,
I did a little more clean up on the wiring from the controller to the stepper.
Excuse my dirty electronic work workbench.
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00099.JPG

"are you using the sketch that Timo modified"
The answer to that question is negative, I am using Arduino_Rotary_Table_Modified_for Selectable_Ratios V2 by: Bruce Weir-Smith.

Apologies for the delayed response, I've been busy with the good old honey do list.
Thank you for the compliment. After posting the pictures on the forum,
I did a little more clean up on the wiring from the controller to the stepper.
Excuse my dirty electronic work workbench.
View attachment 153527
View attachment 153528

"are you using the sketch that Timo modified"
The answer to that question is negative, I am using Arduino_Rotary_Table_Modified_for Selectable_Ratios V2 by: Bruce Weir-Smith.
Does that version make up the missing steps, due to dropping the digits after the decmil? Where could I find a copy of his sketch?

Last edited:
See attach text file.
I'm not home right now to test this sketch until next week sometime. As I look through the code I don't see where the missing steps are picked up to make a full 360 revolution when picking divisions not equally divided into the stepper motor? example (If you choose 21 divisions you would come up 8 steps short of making a full 360 degree rotation, all of the error ends up between the first & last tooth if you were cutting a gear). Timo fixed this in a sketch he worked on a few weeks ago. It still has a few bugs. At least I can make perfect gears now.

I'm not home right now to test this sketch until next week sometime. As I look through the code I don't see where the missing steps are picked up to make a full 360 revolution when picking divisions not equally divided into the stepper motor? example (If you choose 21 divisions you would come up 8 steps short of making a full 360 degree rotation, all of the error ends up between the first & last tooth if you were cutting a gear). Timo fixed this in a sketch he worked on a few weeks ago. It still has a few bugs. At least I can make perfect gears now.
Perhaps reading post #4 , #5, #6 and #7 on Finishing up my version of Arduino indexer for dummies. Most of your questions and answers may be found within.

Last edited:
Back