Finger engine revisited

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got to say John, I do like the new look with the re-worked cranks ;D

I am still in stunned at how fast you create your engines... Just the polishing on my little effort has taken me hours!
And you've made three!!! And they're bigger!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (one for each engine ;D ) I think your title is safe ;)

Are you sure you don't want to make just a little video? ;)
I know we all know how they run but it's nice to see them going ;D I'll wait for a good couple of close up pics either way ;D

Ralph.

Dave,

I have noticed a few minor 'blemishes' on the face of some of the bits I reworked by hand, just a wavy surface, but needs to be put right. Also, with ali, the better shine you can get on it the longer the shine will last, especially if you give it a dose of furniture polish as well.

Ralph,

I honestly think you are trying too hard on the polishing thing. I made six spinners by eye and file, drilled and tapped them, plus a polish in about an hour. It is just the preplanning and prep that makes it easy. You will find, as you get more experience, things will just come naturally and you won't have to work at it. When eventually you come to see me, I will knock something up, and show you just the way how I do things. I think you will be surprised at how easy a lot of the things I do are, and honestly, a total beginner CAN do it.

John

Beautiful engines. I've enjoyed watching the build. My son and I have started a couple finger engines, but it has been slow. Your engine is just the motivation I need to keep us moving along.

K,

Nice to hear it has given you a bit of inspiration to carry on, keep it up.

John

Three to go.

One for a friend, who always offers to get me things from the states when he is away on the cruise liners.

finger2bits35.jpg

One for John S 1st, for being a very loyal but challenging apprentice, who has come on in leaps and bounds in the last year, and deserves a reward for all his effort and hard work. He has learned to machine to a very respectable standard, purely by looking at this site and instruction by email.

finger2bits36.jpg

This one is for my better half. I have never made her anything from my workshop, and she enjoyed playing with the last couple I made. I decided she deserved one for herself, if only for putting up with me for the last 37 years.

finger2bits34.jpg

All engines now finished. Just a repair to do on my lathe before it goes. I will be doing a small post on this, just in case someone else has a worn, droop snoot tailstock. Then it is downtime while my shop is brought up to date.

I hope you have enjoyed this little walk thru how I design and make things, it is slightly different from making from plans. But still very enjoyable to do.

John

Very nice work, as usual, John. Truly an inspiration to all.

Chuck

Really fantastic work there John, your engines are getting more and more stylized ,you need to take a pic of one of those with a pretty girl in a 1920s dress and little matching hat, one finger working the engine (double entendre not intended!) and a Martini, complete with olive on cocktail stick, in the other hand!

Well done!....Giles

I think the recipient of the red one will have it either as the centrepiece of his "steam board" or he will be working his way round the triangle where he works with it John. Superb effort despite "The muck" slowing you down.
Regads Me.

Sweet freedom of choice!

Now there's a trio of home made style ;D I specifically like the blue one... It pops out at me more than the other colours :eek: !

Your going to be twiddling your thumbs waiting to get your shop re-filled... well except for the re-working of floor space, storage, benches.....etc!! ;D

Can't wait to see what your new super machines will help you achive. That Halo looks very interesting, should be fun ;D

Ralph.

Thanks lads for all the compliments.

Just a note to total beginners.

If you are really stuck on what to make, a finger engine is ideal. It gives a varied range of machining exercises without being too difficult. You will also find, that if it is just left about the house, both visitors and friends can't stop having a go. So it will never be forgotten about, like other little engines on the 'first build' list.

They don't have to be a 'blingy' or stylised as mine are, just a basic one is great fun to build and display.

For a bit more fun, does anyone want to take up a bit of a challenge.

How about a blast finger engine competition.

It relies on your total truthfullness, but only on the accounting of time. You can stop and start at any time, but all making time is to be added up, so 10 mins here, 30 mins there, to allow for things like glue drying time, meals etc. It will be up to you to tally and truthfully submit your time.

There are a couple of rules, the first is that you are not allowed either lathe or miller (except for use as a drill) in the build, and the second is that somewhere on the machine, you must use at least part of a round wire coathanger, the third is of course is that it must be fully operational, and tweaking time is to be included.

Anything else goes. So you are allowed to get materials together and the time starts on the first cut.

If you are interested, we will start a new thread for it. To start say some time next week and all machines to be submitted by one week later.

Judging will be done by a combination of time taken and how good it looks (but not too good), and will be done by membership poll over one week.

So drop your heavy projects and see what you can really do in a couple of hours.

John

John... Start a new thread on this!

It is a good idea and should not get lost in this post!

(thats not to say I can do it... but it's worth a blast!! ;D )

Ralph.

Just an update on my previously made finger engines.

My better half was complaining that her delicate fingers got tired after ten minutes of pumping treadle (I don't know why, she has the muscles of a Russian shot putter).

Anyway to cut a long story short, last night I got back into my shop before the machinery all goes, and did a mod on the flywheel. Taking heed from what I had learned from my tree engine (get as much mass on the outside), I machined some pockets around the edge, and stuck some slugs of 1/2" brass into them, just like they use on the balance wheels of expensive clocks and watches.

flywheelmod.jpg

This pic shows the result, the flywheel now needs re polishing, but that is only a five minute job.
Once up to speed it runs like one of my turbines. Now she is complaining it goes too fast, can't please some people.

John

I modded the second one this morning, still awaiting delivery to its master, who I think is still at sea.
Both now polished.

I am starting to get withdrawal symptoms now that I can't machine at will.

John

flies.JPG

I wasn't sure what it reminded me of till I read Shred's comment... A ships wheel ;D

Very apt for your mariner friend :D

Look nice now they're polished John.

Patience John... Soon the new machines will keep you busy for hours in set up alone!! You'll have to find some more twigs and go whittling!! ;D

Ralph.

Hi John,

Missed this thread somehow and caught up with it on the other thread where i mentioned a clutch
type mechanism.

Those have to be the sweetest finger engines i have ever seen!!! th_confused0052
I am sure the recipients are gobsmacked with them!!

Andrew

Goodness me Andrew, there has been a lot of water under the bridge since I made those, but the wife and grandson still get the one that was kept for an hours good clean fun, seeing how long they can keep it going.

John

Back