Finally,, A shop all to myself!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarrett

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always shared a garage for my shops. Only positive side is closeness to house.
I looked at many build option such as, stick build, frame sides with metal roofing and decided to go with an all metal building on a slab.
After many sketches I balanced budget and size requirements and came up with a 22'x 25'x 8' for size. I know now I really should have gone bigger but that would leave me no extra for equipment I need. (compressor etc,).
I coated the floor with an epoxy coating.
I used 2" foam panels on the walls and 4" on the ceiling.
I then covered the walls in 1/2" ply.
Electrical was run in conduit with plenty of receptacles.
I bought a bunch of commercial base and wall cabinets from a hospital remodel job.
I will post more pictures as I get further into it.
Julian G.

slabA.jpg

almostdoneA.jpg

bareinsideA.jpg

Inside before adding insulation

installfoamA.jpg

Foam installation, glued to walls and lathing to hold it in ceiling

insidelookingoutA.jpg

Looking from rear to front

insidelookinginA.jpg

Looking from front to back

Julian.

It’s a nice shop you have there, nothing like having everything new.

A little advice, next thing you should do is really put a lot of thought in planning the layout of benches, shelving etc, and leave room for future stuff. One observation too is you may need more light.

Other than that congratulations on your new home because that is what its going to be, I know my wife keeps telling me to go home (shop) when she is PO’d at me. ::)

Anthony.

Awesome Julian....Congrats.
For many years I used our attached garage. Now that I am in the pole barn it is my second home.

Julian,

Looks like you are going to have a great "Man Cave".

SAM

These new shops going up are starting to give me "shop envy" instead of tool envy.

Seriously, congrats on the new shop. Wife will have to come looking for you for supper eh?

Ron

Really a nice one, Julian. So clean and new.
A bed, fridge, and outhouse, and I'd be set for life!

Dean

Thanks for all of the comments, most of these pictures happened 2 or 3 months ago.
I am just getting around to posting progress and pictures. I have 99% of my stuff moved out of the garage and in the process of sorting and finding places to put everything.
I looks big UNTIL I get the car in there. I am really surprised how quick wall space disappeared!!

Anthony, I do need more light but I have lights under the cabinets and a couple more I am going to hang over the machine tools.

Julian G.

MDmove.jpg

Moving mill/drill the easy way. It came from the garage in the background. I was able to drive right up to the spot I wanted to put it. Lot easier than trying to do it by hand!!!
Julian G.

hey where are the pictures of you all moved in??
Tin

Cogratulations. I am only now starting and must still get the basics but i'l get there

Now that's a workshop worth killing for! Just one thing DO NOT, under any circumstances, install a telephone. Some years ago I was foolish enough to put one in my pokey little space - it lasted about a week. Anyone want a double handful of broken plastic, metal and wire?

OK, I got some pictures today. I wanted to have some "showcase" pictures but it ain't gonna happen.
I still have a ways to go but a lot of it is winter projects. Lots of stuff in cabinets that needs to be sorted.
It is nice to have all of your tools accessable and close to the machines.
For now I have to share the shop with my car. One of the reasons I built the shop was to have a place to work on vehicles. I hope to add on next year and have it all for tools.
I am already enjoying it...it is sooo much better that a cramped garage.
Pictures below are a 360º tour from right to left.

inside7.jpg

Looking in from door

inside1.jpg

Right Side

inside2.jpg

Back

inside5.jpg

Close up of machines

inside3.jpg

Left Side

inside6.jpg

Toward Door

Very nice set-up!

well done.

Very nice shop.

Too much room though. People can find you in there. I find it best to get lost. :big:
Having said that...my shop is small...there's only one place you can find me.

Julian, This is really a great shop, waiting for those beatiful silver chips all over. thanks for sharin the pictures. larry

That is really neat my 4.5x1.8 meters (15ft x 6 ft) would fit in one corner of your place. Kitchen units is the way to go very functional.

But so far from the house don't you need water and a sink? Best thing I did was fit one(in the garage but outside the shop). Allows me to clean up stuff including myself rather than dragging the mess into the house.

Pete

Latest posts

Back