Expand the "Home Foundry and Castings Section" ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I should look in and post but maybe not, my view on parting lines for example is completely different.

MEB is a mag and they certainly struggled to get enough content to put out a mag on a regular basis

I saw mention that admin are not willing to add additional sections, its been done on ME where there was sufficient demand and also on MECH where there were a couple of people asking for CNC, 3D and CAD to have their own sections. These were created and after an initial flurry you are lucky to get one new thread in each section every six months. And no it was not me asking for those sections. MEM has also added sections to cover non "engine" related stuff again a sthere was sufficient demand.

Last edited:
The casting section was added here, and that was a good thing in my opinion.

We all have our particular interests and focus.

I would certainly like to see more engine building folks get into making their own castings, in light of the lack of casting kits available these days, and the fact that casting has been part of model engineering for a long time, but seems to have been somewhat lost in recent years.

There was a casting seminar at NAMES 2019, but it was rather pathetic in my opinion, and the interest from the crowd that attended was not impressive either.

I am going to focus on casting builds only, and put that information where I and others will be able to easily find it.
I don't see a resolution here; too many cooks in this kitchen, so time to go to Plan "B"; starting today.
MEC here we go.

Last edited:
In the spirit of community and adventure that is our shop world (and the main point of it all, anyway),

--ShopShoe
I agree .
And if we are too principled about something, an issue, it will no longer be a hobby.
Making a new forum, a new group....it will make the information, projects....more and more fragmented, a little here, a little there, a little there.... over there... over over there...and how does that help newbies? How will it help people looking for information? ...?? seems to be doing the opposite of what we usually say!???

There are very valid points about leaving the structure here as it is.
The structure is simple, and has no sub-categories.
Many folks like simplicity, and like how this forum is configured.
I can't argue with that; the old adage comes to mind "If its not broken, don't fix it".

By the same token, you would have to be Stevie Wonder not to see the changes taking place in this hobby.
My thoughts are that modelers are going to be forced to make their own castings, and learn the process of making their own castings, if they want many of the original popular engine kits that were offered just a few years ago.
Many casting kit companies have folded, and that trend has a potential to continue in my opinion.
Our largest model engine show (in the USA) seems to have vanished for good.
Making your own model engine castings has a long and rich history in this hobby, dating back over 100 years, but seems to be slipping away, or getting marginalized in my opinion in many model circles, compared to how it use to be.

I am not willing to give up engine castings, and would not be satisfied making barstock engines only.
Once you have made your own custom engine castings, there is really no going back to anything else.

I have great visions for the future of model engineers that make their own castings, but I don't think that vision has a chance with this forum structure.
So with no malice intended whatsoever towards anyone, I intend to build a casting structure elsewhere, and I think this will be the future of model engineer castings; at least that is the hope.
I think a dedicated structure is what it will take to make it successful.

Different strokes for different folks; its all good.
Best wishes to all in their endeavors, however that may be done.
I am taking the fork in the road.

Last edited:
Hi @GreenTwin .
I disagree and also agree with your last 2 threads
Good idea but we have to consider reality, and the reality is a bit harsh: How many people can design, 3D print, make molds....and cast at home and build and make engines run? ? I'm not talking about casting for sale - just casting at home.
Someone can cast at home, but first he has to build the engine and get it running and he is given information that to me - someone who is very comfortable with engine building - feels That's crazy - how could he build an engine to run it?
Still the old saying: We should do better than what we have done and said.

Hi @GreenTwin .
I disagree and also agree with your last 2 threads
Good idea but we have to consider reality, and the reality is a bit harsh: How many people can design, 3D print, make molds....and cast at home and build and make engines run? ? I'm not talking about casting for sale - just casting at home.
Someone can cast at home, but first he has to build the engine and get it running and he is given information that to me - someone who is very comfortable with engine building - feels That's crazy - how could he build an engine to run it?
Still the old saying: We should do better than what we have done and said.
It is with great sadness I see that so many on HMEM can not see the benefits of having
expanded subcategories and or index of searchable terms. With the talent that is available
on HMEM I don't understand why the answers to the question is it can't or should not be done
instead of asking how it can be done. Yes other sites/ forms may have tried and failed but so
have I in trying to be a model engineer but I am still trying.
The point I am trying to convey is how can it be done, not how it cannot or
should not be done, is it not a benefit for all in the long run. If with the talent
and helpfulness of the people on here pool there talent I think it can be done.
They have and are helping me.

Click on it, maybe it will help

View attachment 152989

And more
Sometimes a title for easy searching or tagging, or several tags...it can help with searching.

Untitled.jpg

And :

A.jpg

I did mention Tags in one of my earlier posts. You can then search for a particular tag. It is a bit hidden away but there if you want to use it.

Always the proviso that the person posting puts the tags on and that they use the same one you are searching for. As an example searching TAGS for Casting brings up very few results so you would have done better just looking down the existing forum section.

tags.JPG

Last edited:
I agree .
And if we are too principled about something, an issue, it will no longer be a hobby.
Making a new forum, a new group....it will make the information, projects....more and more fragmented, a little here, a little there, a little there.... over there... over over there...and how does that help newbies? How will it help people looking for information? ...?? seems to be doing the opposite of what we usually say!???
I agree, if there are different sub-categories, users would have to go to those categories to see 'new to them' ideas, I know I've seen things I wouldn't have searched out without them being all in the same place.

Hi Alll !
Just my own thoughts
Perhaps Admins @Shelton , @Franklin , @GailInNM has also read this thread, each person has a different opinion
Like I said: whatever
Creating additional sub-categories is also not a problem.
Thinking a little more openly, thinking Open ... is also a way
That's also how I make my engine, I don't follow any machining principles, I feel like that's okay and I'll do it, sometimes there are crazy solutions....but they work really well.

And, sometimes, as long as you really want to share... then a few obstacles are not a problem.
If you don't want it, there's always a reason.

Final comment .

Last edited:
Is there any interest in expanding the "Home Foundry and Castings Section" of this forum, to include separate folders for things like "Foundry Construction", "Investment Casting Methods", "Sand and Molding Techniques", "Casting Defects", "Pattern Making", etc. ?

It seems like once a topic goes into the que, then it moves down the que, and if you don't know exactly what to search for, then the topic is not really accessible.

Thoughts/suggestions ?

I am new here. I am interested in lost foam casting and have built several contraptions for cutting the foam.
Attached is the spokes to a flywheel being cut on a router table with a hot wire.
E. Davis

Attachments

• FMP1AOSLDYJJDSA - Copy.jpg
    FMP1AOSLDYJJDSA - Copy.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
I am not a big fan of lost foam castings in a backyard setting because the method used and the foam used is not the same as used commercially, and so it can become a lot more difficult to achieve good results.

The commercial method used expanded beads in a metal mold, and the slurry used is permeable enough to allow the gasses generated by the vaporizing foam to pass through the coating.

I am not sure about the fumes created by burning foam, but I would be cautious of that.

And often I see people pouring into a lost foam mold, and there is all sorts of churning, gassing, bubbling, and spitting back out the sprue.
I would guess that most or all of the backyard lost foam castings are not rated for structural applications, due to cold joints, interrupted flows, etc.

That being said, there are some pretty nice backyard lost foam castings being made, but I have not seen any that have been sectioned or subject to stress tests to verify that they not only look good, but are indeed sound and strong castings.

I think the pour temperature used with lost foam is quite a bit higher than with sand molds, since you have to melt/vaporize the foam, and that extracts heat from the molten metal as it flows into the foam cavity.

The good part about lost foam castings is that you can cast some very complex shapes, and cast shapes that would be very difficult to cast with sand molds, such as engine blocks with complex internal water passages.

The downside of lost foam castings is that you burn up your pattern every time, and so you have to make a foam pattern for every casting, which is really very counterproductive compared to just using a pattern repeatedly with a sand mold.
In the commercial world, a permanent metal pattern is make, and reused thousands of times, with the beads expanded inside of this metal mold.

I think it is important to get a consistent melt front when filling a lost foam area, so you don't get flow from two sides, and don't potentially get a cold joint when the two fronts meet.

No doubt some experimentation will be required.

Good luck.
Post some photos of your casting results.

Last edited:
I have just had a look at some of the main catagories on the front page. None of them had any sub headings. Am I missing something? I would like to see sub headings for the casting section, and wonder if others feel the same about the catagory they visit.

I thought the consensus was to leave as is, Someone new posts out of place and the discussion opens up again.

The fact that the other sections with 100K post in the popular ones have not needed subdividing over many years suggests it is not needed when the home foundry/casting section only accounts for maybe 2% of forum activity.

If "Engine Discuussions" or "Building Them" have not needed dividing into Steam, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, hot air, flame licker, etc. Why does casting/foundry need splitting up? If it took up 50% of forum activity then it may be worth thinking about but I don't see why until then.

Regarding the foam patterns, If you use slurry coats then the foam can be burnt out before pouring and then won't give the problems Pat mentions which lost foam could suffer from.

Foam is also very easy and fast to work, someone with a basic CNC router could cut a foam pattern faster than one could be made traditionally in wood or 3D printed. Commercially they use big routers to cut from large sheets of foam as it is an economical way for one off or small batch jobs, the metal mounds for expanded foam are only really for larger batches which the hobby user is unlikely to need. being easy to stick together the time to make up a foam pattern can be further reduced as you don't need to waste time machining away a lot of unwanted material.

It's ease and speed of machining means you can run small stepovers and get a pattern that is ready to cast straight off the cutter so no lengthy prep that 3D prints may need. Or if it does need prep it is easy to sand. Based on what it takes me to CNC a flywheel pattern from wood or metal I would say the same pattern in foam could be done in 1/5th the time or less so you would be looking at under 1hr for a 6" flywheel pattern ready to cast. As most home casters are only casting for themselves 1 or 2 flywheels would be all they want so even having to machine two patterns would be quicker than a 3D print

As for fumes probably less than that produce burning waste oil for an hour or two per melt.

I have just had a look at some of the main catagories on the front page. None of them had any sub headings. Am I missing something? I would like to see sub headings for the casting section, and wonder if others feel the same about the catagory they visit.

I still think it would be a good idea, but I don't think there is enough casting activity here to justify it.

It seems I have posted my comment out of place. Could some kind soul point me to the thread where we are discussing sub headings?

We are mixing topics here.
You are indeed in the right place, but we have added "lost foam" onto the end of this conversation.
Not good practice to mix up threads like this, but here we are.

Back