Home made foundry question

Discussion in 'Home Foundry & Casting Projects' started by Barnbikes, Oct 22, 2016.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2018 #21

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

SmithDoor

I was self employed for over 30 years and safety was top list. Only one had 3 stitch but he not follow the safety rules

Today I down size a foundry to only pour 6 lb of aluminum and 12 lb of brass

Dave

2. Oct 16, 2018 #22

abby

abby

abby

Nelson my feathers are not really ruffled , there is risk in foundry work but we take what precautions we can to make the risk acceptable.
    I feel more at risk driving on the motorway (freeway) than pouring a crucible of molten bronze , this is not because of my lack of experience as a driver , I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles , but I cannot account for the experience , or lack of , for the people I am sharing the road with.
    In my foundry I am responsible for every aspect of the process and am in control , an accident , by definition of the word , is still possible but the odds are in my favour because of the precautions taken.
    This doesn't mean I haven't had mishaps but the damage caused by them has been mitigated by the precautions.
    Dan.

3. Oct 24, 2018 #23

Wizard69

Wizard69

Wizard69

Ok risks acknowledged. What I want to know is if the comment about Aluminum bronze is accurate. That is if isn’t ideal for model engineering. I ask because bronze would look nice on s flywheel I r even an engine body.