Excello Mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I have an Excello 602 mill. I was wondering if anyone else has one or has experience with one.

There is a seal in the head which should be replaced. When I start the mill after is has not been run for a while I have to place a rag around the spindle or I get sprayed with oil. Irritating but tearing the head apart is a lot of work. I read in an old post in another forum that someone had replaced the automatic transmission fluid with synthetic gear lube and that helped the problem. I have copies of two manuals and one says transmission fluid and one says gear lube. Has anyone either repaired the head or changed the oil?

In researching this I have come to realize that there is supposed to be a return spring on the spindle and the spindle should retract much like a drill press quill and not have to be manually forced up. Even if the spring is broken it is unlikely that I can find a spring to replace it. Excello has been out of business for years.

Anyone know of a source for parts on this machine?

Gordon, just went to another machine site and it appears that the quill seal is the problem. One person took out the old lube and replaced it with Mobil gear oil, problem has all but gone away. Another poster said the Chicago Raw Hide should be able the cross reference the seal if you are going to replace it. If you live near a large city try to locate a bearing house/MRO supplier, the seal should be the least of the problem.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back