Cutting oils

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat47

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this:
I ran across some "recipes" for homemade cutting oils/fluids in some older posts here. Some interesting things out there. Anyway, my thoughts are about using raw crude oil for a threading oil. Seems like I heard/read that crude oil was/is a good cutting fluid because it often has a high sulfur(sp) content. Somewhere in my shop, I have a gallon of Bakken crude oil. I was wondering if anyone has tried crude oil and how successful they were.
One reason I have delayed using it is because it smells to high Heaven. One of these days, when I find that jug, I'll try it and let you know the results. Jon K

I just buy from Home Depot and buy clear thread cutting oil.
It is simpler, I have read up on Home made and the little use it is simpler just to buy off the shelf.

Dave

I agree, but I have the stuff (somewhere) so I thought I'd give it a try.
I just use a small bottle and a soldering brush.
The small bottle is great if spill it less to clean up.

The bottle is from Christmas gift box

20231218_144426.jpg

Dave

Hi Guys,

I've tried all sorts of things to use for cutting and threading compounds !
WD40, Kerosene, Diesel and various commercial products for both alloys and steel.
Some years ago the Locktite and Rocol reps gave me several tins and bottles of stuff to try ! Temaxol was the best all round tapping compound. RTD was the worse one.
Used cooking oil was very good on milling and turning steel, but tends to pong a bit.
The downside is that it soon sets into a thick jelly that is unusable.

I agree, but I have the stuff (somewhere) so I thought I'd give it a try.
The clear is best for wife it is like a after shave .

The dark does cut A36 and pipe better but your wife will not like the smell. She will have you stay far far away.

It one part most never talked about is smell. Even try pouringa bottle perfume in dark did not help my wife.

Dave

Hi Guys,

I've tried all sorts of things to use for cutting and threading compounds !
WD40, Kerosene, Diesel and various commercial products for both alloys and steel.
Some years ago the Locktite and Rocol reps gave me several tins and bottles of stuff to try ! Temaxol was the best all round tapping compound. RTD was the worse one.
Used cooking oil was very good on milling and turning steel, but tends to pong a bit.
The downside is that it soon sets into a thick jelly that is unusable.
Old books {before WW one} will till how to make cutting oil. {Lard, sulfur and oil and cooked for hours} then add kerosene. Basically a dark cutting oil with lot of work.

Dave

My main criteria is to use a cutting fluid which has no smell. As an apprentice we used "soap water" which was cheap, very susceptible to bacterial growth unless the correct water was used and basically stunk. It got into your clothes and stunk! I only use cutting oil which has no smell and doesn't leave a deposit on slides. I have a 5Ltr tank with a gear pump but mainly use a brush. I always pump the oil when I am knurling to clear the chips. I use NeatCut.
To my mind cutting oil is the only way forward!! Discuss!!
Mike

With safety in mind, pretty much anything is worth a try.
I think how most do.
It is just part of hobby.

Most machine shops & CNC shops they like low cost water base coolant short cutter life.

Screw machine and gear cutting shops like oil base for long cutter life.

Dave

I have read in gunsmithing books bee's wax for tapping.

Try this for tapping oil use upto 1960's
{White lead in heavy oil} great for tool steel and stainless great for almost any other tapping or cutting too.
Also use on chucks , dies and dead centers. Today they use EZZ products and other brands instead of lead. See photo above

I seen Persian Blue used too.
The downside is it is hard wash off. Your hands are blue.

Dave

Not sure where else to post this:
I ran across some "recipes" for homemade cutting oils/fluids in some older posts here. Some interesting things out there. Anyway, my thoughts are about using raw crude oil for a threading oil. Seems like I heard/read that crude oil was/is a good cutting fluid because it often has a high sulfur(sp) content. Somewhere in my shop, I have a gallon of Bakken crude oil. I was wondering if anyone has tried crude oil and how successful they were.
One reason I have delayed using it is because it smells to high Heaven. One of these days, when I find that jug, I'll try it and let you know the results. Jon K
I’ve used GI surplus high sulphur content cutting oils for years.
The stink lingers and the paint on my machines was stained .
To get the residues and stain off ,I used Hoppe’s #9 gun cleaning solution.
I now purchase cutting oil from McMaster-Carr and it works just fine without any noxious smell .
Just my 2 cents……

I’ve used GI surplus high sulphur content cutting oils for years.
The stink lingers and the paint on my machines was stained .
To get the residues and stain off ,I used Hoppe’s #9 gun cleaning solution.
I now purchase cutting oil from McMaster-Carr and it works just fine without any noxious smell .
Just my 2 cents……
Goid news you can buy that cutting oil from Home Depot by quart .

At time my life I would buy high sulfur oil by the drum/55 gallons about every 2 or 3 years. For drilling and tapping steel a hand brushed on using a ¾" paint brush.

Dave

Latest posts

Back