Engine ID help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Well folks was at the Market of Fleas today. Did something a bit out of character for me anyway i bought a steam engine. Not sure if it is bit of treasure or the bear cheated me.
Observations a generic production model single action single cylinder oscillator. basic simple horazontal boiler. Base 6" x 7" stamped sheet metal machinery gray with an embossed area 2 1/2 x 4" navy blue under the engine. Bearing blocks stamped sheet metal. Fire box 2 x 2 x 4 1/2 " embossed with a brick pattern chimney rolled steel with seam and brass funnel on top . Boiler 1 1/2 D x 3 3/4 long fitted with whistle and safety valve / fill plug. No sight glass or Gage. Engine 1/4 bore x1in stroke appears to be die cast pot metal. Fly wheel: Looks like the original flew away and was replaced by a flywheel from a toy gyroscope. the base was modified to fitthis new bigger fly wheel.this wheel is 3' d it appears the original was 2" x approx 3/8 maybe thinner. Condition decent a few dents and dings, approx 80% paint in tact. boiler has carbon buildup. I am thinking someone used kero instead of alcohol for fuel.
So what do a I have and what do I do with it. I am thinking clean it up shine the copper and brass make a new flywheel possibly bush the bearing blocks and run it on air at the shows. Maybe restore if I know what it is supposed to look like.
DSCI0002-2.jpg

DSCI0001-1.jpg

DSCI0003-2.jpg

Tin

Doll, maybe? At least, that firebox sure looks like Doll.
There are/were so many different toy steam engine makers. Maybe Tony Muir
can tell you for sure.

Fix it up and steam it. That's what it was made for!

Dean

Yeah, there you go! Fix it up. I think they're fairly desirable.
Again, when Tony comes on line, I think he will know about it. He's pretty good at toy
steamers, and has quite an interest in them.
I like 'em, but mostly just play around with them. Got a couple of 60's era Jensens recently and
have been doodling with them to get them going. Kinda fun!

Dean

Latest posts

Back