Elmers Experimental Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShedBoy

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted something, been stuck doing other peoples jobs (mainly motorbikes) but thought bugger it I am going to build an engine amongst all the other jobs floating around. I have had a ring of steel out of a piston I melted ages ago and I have finally found an engine that is the right size for it, Elmers Experimental Engine from the John Tom website. More on the ring later. It is an interesting basic engine. First up are frames, mounts and a base;
SAM_0660_zps3eac3f6a.jpg

That saw blade works mint apart from throwing swarf everywhere
SAM_0662_zps36eda3e5.jpg

Frames sized
SAM_0663_zpsf22c4a69.jpg

Frames drilled
SAM_0664_zpsa58a32cf.jpg

SAM_0666_zps2e35844b.jpg

Frames mounted on a base and some blocks machined to size for the cylinder and valve block.
Photobucket has changed lets see if I have it right.

Brock

Brock

Photobucket is sorted, not keen on change coz it weren't broke. Anyhoo I thought I would move onto this ring of steel which come from a tip at a minesite I worked at. Quick synopsis. Generator needed new pistons and liners so the pistons ended up in the tip, about 6kg of ali each but when I was scooping the crap(dross from the red hot pot this ring of steel come out, I thought that would make a nice flywheel. Here goes how i done it. It is about 125mm in diameter:
SAM_0678_zpsc69a5c35.jpg

Start machining a hub with a spigot to hold later.
SAM_0679_zpsb9c43bed.jpg

Move to rotary table and drill and tap some holes around the circumference, My lash up to hold it works mint with just finger tightness
SAM_0680_zps0394b2c4.jpg

Drill holes in rim at the same points. I am using six 6mm bolts from hardware shop.
SAM_0681_zps557e0129.jpg

Cut threads short and threadlock the thing together.
SAM_0683_zps46237ffc.jpg

Silver solder it together. Weird metal that ring it sort of machines like cast iron but not really, no idea but it took solder and survived my destructive testing which involved a spanner and bolt till something give. The weld won. The original plan was to hold the ring with the lathe chuck and the hub with the tailstock drill chuck but it was not moving when bolted up so I just soldered away. Preliminary spin in the drill press proved good.
SAM_0685_zps2d6de7e3.jpg

Smooth it off on the linishing belt.
SAM_0686_zpsb999bc76.jpg

Grab that spigot I left on it and turn the hub to something that looks a bit less bulky.
SAM_0687_zps3191f750.jpg

SAM_0689_zps2db43a86.jpg

I am wrapped with the result. Has only a little bit of run out, not enough for me to worry about.

Brock

Next bit is the thing which holds the cam follower. I didn't have a chunk of brass big enough so I decided to fabricate it. Nothing interesting but some soldering.
SAM_0690_zps50c4255c.jpg

SAM_0692_zps5ab374b6.jpg

Started fly cutting it to size. nothing interesting. Got to stop making noise it is approaching 11pm. More soon. Has anyone else made this engine?

Brock

Nice use of available materials. I hope you are not brazing in shorts and flip-flops! ;)
I will be following this build.
Cheepo45

Nice use of available materials. I hope you are not brazing in shorts and flip-flops! ;)
I will be following this build.
Cheepo45

Flip-flops....?!? .....look more closely mate, those are genuine Japanese safety boots!

Very interesting build Brock, looks great so far mate! I like your "slitting saw"! How well does that perform for you? Seems like a good idea. Also, how strong is the joint on the brazed brass piece, I always wonder on thicker/wider material how it holds up with brazing?

cheers, Ian

Brock

Great to see a build log of this Elmer design, and your version of the flywheel is very impressive. I'll be watching this one with interest.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Very interesting build Brock, looks great so far mate! I like your "slitting saw"! How well does that perform for you? Seems like a good idea. Also, how strong is the joint on the brazed brass piece, I always wonder on thicker/wider material how it holds up with brazing?

cheers, Ian
The slitting saw is designed for ali and cuts like a demon, about 800 rpm and stood right back, swarf going everywhere but cuts good. Link below

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200507811304

As for the joins they seem strong enough, didn't budge when I hit it with the fly cutter across the ears on about a 1mm cut. Someone will know the strength of the join in relation to actual brass.......anyone.......I figure once made it should not be under that sort of stress anymore My big mill doesn't seem to stop at anything I throw at it, usually breaks parts if I do something stoopid but it doesn't happen anymore:rolleyes:.

Also when joining the thicker parts I use a trick I seen on a post here. I put some centre pops below to raise it up a bit so the solder has somewhere to go and add heat from the opposite side and it will follow the heat accross.

Brock

The built up brass part come apart towards the end so now is filed in the bin.
SAM_0702_zpsa1a15406.jpg

Made one out of steel for a replacement and pressed in a brass bush
SAM_0700_zps151b6ca0.jpg

Base needed some clearance
SAM_0701_zpsf1c29686.jpg

Flywheel in final position
SAM_0703_zpsc414a79d.jpg

Conrod marked out
SAM_0705_zpsf5049a92.jpg

Crank assembly fitted
Cylinder and valve block next.

Brock

Got some more bits made
SAM_0706_zps985fa7c2.jpg

Cylinder and valve block fitted
SAM_0710_zps6a67ccb9.jpg

Crosshead shelf and cylinder end cap.
This is quite a large model once it starts taking shape.

Brock

Been studying for an exam so have had much time for the shed. Some small bits.

Crank pin a bit different than the plan

Pin installed

Cross head also sliding away. Just the valve gear to go.

Brock

Got another small part done.

Going to try and finish it in the next few days
Brock

Got some more small parts made. After some careful marking out it turns out you can make the cam from a piece of 3/4 stock. Here is how I done it.

I marked the centre hole on the end and lined it up in the four jaw and bored it then cut the large radius. The last parts I just filed by hand then finished it all slowly in the lathe with some wet and dry.

Bit hard to see from this end.

Mounted on the drive components.

The beginning of the cam follower. Just some flat bar machine down, making both halves like this meant it was easy to keep things square.

Drilling some holes just had to remember to use a small drill for the holes at the threaded end.

After separating and machining to size it was an easy job to braze the studs in.

Put the cam and follower together in the holder and give it a whirl. Whirls as it should. Nothing for me for another week as I have to go back down the burrow and remove some gold from the planet.
I must say I am thoroughly enjoying building this engine. Not many parts to go now.

Thanks for looking in.
Brock

Fantastic work! I've been wanting to build this engine... you just finalized it earning a spot on my build list.

Latest posts

Back