Quantcast

Elmers "Diagonal" Engine

Help Support HMEM:

johnmcc69

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the design of a "Diagonal" engine & this is what I have come up with so far...

I wanted something that was fairly "simple" to build & relatively small, I chose Elmers #41 Factory engine as the basis for the design. Elmers engines are pretty straight forward, proven designs & seemed to fit what I had in mind. I made some slight changes to Elmers engine to make it work the way I wanted (Just some size changes) & kind of designed around that. I added a govenor because I think it's a nice touch, & I think the builder could include it or not, or add it later. I'm going to simplify the govenor design a little more than what I have shown to make it easier to build.

I really like the looks of this & think it would make a nice model so I'll probably create detail drawings & post them.
(& no, I'm not calling the entire engine "My" design, as mentioned & shown on the drawings, the engine is Elmer Verburgs design. The
"Factory #41 engine plans are in the "Free Domain" on the web & no copyrights will be harmed in the creation of the drawings...)

John

Attachments

Cogsy

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
That's an interesting looking engine. Nice job. I'd be interested in a set of plans although realistically at this point I probably have too many engines on my 'to-build' list than I'll ever have time to build.

johnmcc69

Reaction score
Boy, that was a lot of work, but the drawings are all done. I'm attaching the finished sheet-1 here to give you an idea of how it looks now with all the parts & the BOM finished up. The rest of the files can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-TE_CvL0Zs_gIGKaxWYYZBvMM4rLWZrA?usp=sharing

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out & hope someone will build it (& post the build log here) :)

Thanks Elmer!

John

Attachments

Reactions: bg

johnmcc69

Reaction score
I've updated a couple drawings of this already, I found a problem with the rocker assy. location & had to compensate by adding length to the valve rod & shortening the eccentric strap (It would have caused a little binding in the valve movement), also found a dimension error of the steam ports (slots) in the cylinder head. I've also added a few missing dims (Thanks to CNR) & added a "Revision Record.xls" that explains the changes. All the updated files are on the same "shared" drive where I copied all the files to.

Sorry about that,

John

vederstein

Must do dumb things....
Reaction score
Nice CAD work. I'm assuming this is like Elmer's other engines where the parts are extra tiny?

Richard Hed

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the design of a "Diagonal" engine & this is what I have come up with so far...

I wanted something that was fairly "simple" to build & relatively small, I chose Elmers #41 Factory engine as the basis for the design. Elmers engines are pretty straight forward, proven designs & seemed to fit what I had in mind. I made some slight changes to Elmers engine to make it work the way I wanted (Just some size changes) & kind of designed around that. I added a govenor because I think it's a nice touch, & I think the builder could include it or not, or add it later. I'm going to simplify the govenor design a little more than what I have shown to make it easier to build.

I really like the looks of this & think it would make a nice model so I'll probably create detail drawings & post them.
(& no, I'm not calling the entire engine "My" design, as mentioned & shown on the drawings, the engine is Elmer Verburgs design. The
"Factory #41 engine plans are in the "Free Domain" on the web & no copyrights will be harmed in the creation of the drawings...)

John
Whoa, did you actually build this? Apparently it was used in actual factories. Was it a successful engine? Can you tell me any more about it?

Latest posts