Elmers "Diagonal" Engine

Discussion in 'Plans' started by johnmcc69, Jan 5, 2020.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jan 5, 2020 #1

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

I've been playing around with the design of a "Diagonal" engine & this is what I have come up with so far...

I wanted something that was fairly "simple" to build & relatively small, I chose Elmers #41 Factory engine as the basis for the design. Elmers engines are pretty straight forward, proven designs & seemed to fit what I had in mind. I made some slight changes to Elmers engine to make it work the way I wanted (Just some size changes) & kind of designed around that. I added a govenor because I think it's a nice touch, & I think the builder could include it or not, or add it later. I'm going to simplify the govenor design a little more than what I have shown to make it easier to build.

I really like the looks of this & think it would make a nice model so I'll probably create detail drawings & post them.
    (& no, I'm not calling the entire engine "My" design, as mentioned & shown on the drawings, the engine is Elmer Verburgs design. The
    "Factory #41 engine plans are in the "Free Domain" on the web & no copyrights will be harmed in the creation of the drawings...)

John

Attached Files:

minh-thanh likes this.
  2. Jan 6, 2020 #2

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

That's an interesting looking engine. Nice job. I'd be interested in a set of plans although realistically at this point I probably have too many engines on my 'to-build' list than I'll ever have time to build.

3. Jan 19, 2020 #3

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

Boy, that was a lot of work, but the drawings are all done. I'm attaching the finished sheet-1 here to give you an idea of how it looks now with all the parts & the BOM finished up. The rest of the files can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-TE_CvL0Zs_gIGKaxWYYZBvMM4rLWZrA?usp=sharing

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out & hope someone will build it (& post the build log here) :)

Thanks Elmer!

John

Attached Files:

4. Jan 22, 2020 #4

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

I've updated a couple drawings of this already, I found a problem with the rocker assy. location & had to compensate by adding length to the valve rod & shortening the eccentric strap (It would have caused a little binding in the valve movement), also found a dimension error of the steam ports (slots) in the cylinder head. I've also added a few missing dims (Thanks to CNR) & added a "Revision Record.xls" that explains the changes. All the updated files are on the same "shared" drive where I copied all the files to.

Sorry about that,

John

5. Jan 23, 2020 #5

Lindy

Lindy

Lindy

Hello John, I built this a couple years ago using 2 Elmers mill engines scaled up 2X

Attached Files:

6. Jan 23, 2020 #6

vederstein

vederstein

vederstein

Must do dumb things....

Nice CAD work. I'm assuming this is like Elmer's other engines where the parts are extra tiny?

7. Jan 24, 2020 #7

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

johnmcc69

Very nice!

1/2" bore X 1" stk. , not real tiny. Manageable on the smaller bench-top machines.

John

Draft saved Draft deleted