Elmers "Diagonal" Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcc69

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the design of a "Diagonal" engine & this is what I have come up with so far...

I wanted something that was fairly "simple" to build & relatively small, I chose Elmers #41 Factory engine as the basis for the design. Elmers engines are pretty straight forward, proven designs & seemed to fit what I had in mind. I made some slight changes to Elmers engine to make it work the way I wanted (Just some size changes) & kind of designed around that. I added a govenor because I think it's a nice touch, & I think the builder could include it or not, or add it later. I'm going to simplify the govenor design a little more than what I have shown to make it easier to build.

I really like the looks of this & think it would make a nice model so I'll probably create detail drawings & post them.
(& no, I'm not calling the entire engine "My" design, as mentioned & shown on the drawings, the engine is Elmer Verburgs design. The
"Factory #41 engine plans are in the "Free Domain" on the web & no copyrights will be harmed in the creation of the drawings...)

John

Attachments

• diagonal-eng-assy-1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 732
That's an interesting looking engine. Nice job. I'd be interested in a set of plans although realistically at this point I probably have too many engines on my 'to-build' list than I'll ever have time to build.

Boy, that was a lot of work, but the drawings are all done. I'm attaching the finished sheet-1 here to give you an idea of how it looks now with all the parts & the BOM finished up. The rest of the files can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-TE_CvL0Zs_gIGKaxWYYZBvMM4rLWZrA?usp=sharing

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out & hope someone will build it (& post the build log here) :)

Thanks Elmer!

John

Attachments

• 001-diagonal-eng-assy-h.pdf
    877.1 KB · Views: 433
Reactions: bg
I've updated a couple drawings of this already, I found a problem with the rocker assy. location & had to compensate by adding length to the valve rod & shortening the eccentric strap (It would have caused a little binding in the valve movement), also found a dimension error of the steam ports (slots) in the cylinder head. I've also added a few missing dims (Thanks to CNR) & added a "Revision Record.xls" that explains the changes. All the updated files are on the same "shared" drive where I copied all the files to.

Sorry about that,

John

Hello John, I built this a couple years ago using 2 Elmers mill engines scaled up 2X

Attachments

• 20200122_162521.jpg
    20200122_162521.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 544
Nice CAD work. I'm assuming this is like Elmer's other engines where the parts are extra tiny?

I've been playing around with the design of a "Diagonal" engine & this is what I have come up with so far...

I wanted something that was fairly "simple" to build & relatively small, I chose Elmers #41 Factory engine as the basis for the design. Elmers engines are pretty straight forward, proven designs & seemed to fit what I had in mind. I made some slight changes to Elmers engine to make it work the way I wanted (Just some size changes) & kind of designed around that. I added a govenor because I think it's a nice touch, & I think the builder could include it or not, or add it later. I'm going to simplify the govenor design a little more than what I have shown to make it easier to build.

I really like the looks of this & think it would make a nice model so I'll probably create detail drawings & post them.
(& no, I'm not calling the entire engine "My" design, as mentioned & shown on the drawings, the engine is Elmer Verburgs design. The
"Factory #41 engine plans are in the "Free Domain" on the web & no copyrights will be harmed in the creation of the drawings...)

John
Whoa, did you actually build this? Apparently it was used in actual factories. Was it a successful engine? Can you tell me any more about it?

Back