Elmers #5 geared engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryK

Reaction score
This will be the second steam engine I have built.

Here is a video of what the completed engine will looks similar to.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sn1-caqvfE[/ame]

They modified the original design. I may also make changes from the original.

I will post picture as I go along.

Gary

Last edited:
This engine is on my list of engines I would like to make. Have you purchased the gears yet? When looking for them I was kind of surprised at how expensive they are. I think the internal gear is about $75. I am sure I will eventually buy them as this is such an interesting looking engine. Good luck on your build. I will be following.

This engine is on my list of engines I would like to make. Have you purchased the gears yet? When looking for them I was kind of surprised at how expensive they are. I think the internal gear is about $75. I am sure I will eventually buy them as this is such an interesting looking engine. Good luck on your build. I will be following.

Yes, I have the gears. I bought them both from Amazon and applied for their credit card at the same time so I got them both for $51. It will be the last time I use the card though.

Now that I have the internal gear I will use it as a master to make more.

Gary

Here is my start. I have all the material for the mill all roughed and ready to be taken to size.

I will do the lathe parts later.

Gary

Elmer-1_zps1094b9bf.jpg

That looks like a great engine to build Gary, I'll enjoy watching this one.

cheers, Ian

Here's the work I got done tonight. I started with the steam chest. I originally started with a piece of rectangular stock then I thought round would be a lot better. Waste a little more material but a lot easier to make.

All's that left to do is some holes and remove material from the cavity in the center and the that's it

Gary

IMG_1816Large_zps91346466.jpg

IMG_1819Large_zpse68c3e9c.jpg

IMG_1821Large_zps99d56560.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been able to work out the shop lately, but I did today and got a lot done.
Most of the mill work for the flat parts. All the material brought to size and drilled all the holes.

I didn't want to bore you guys with all the little details that I am sure you have seen many times before.

I just need to mount the rotary table on the mill and do some work with it. I want to make sure everything
that needs the rotary table is ready before I mount it. That way I can leave it mounted while I work on
the lathe getting more parts ready for it.

Gary

IMG_1825_zps4d604188.jpg

Made some progress. Just 2 more parts to go. 1 actually since I just need to add holes to the Internal Gear. The flywheel is the last part. I had a bar of 3" so I will be making it from brass.

From my trail fit of everything it looks like there will be a bit of tweaking. Everything is dead on, but it would seem that it still needs some work.

Next time I hope to post a video of it running.

Gary

IMG_1828_zpsc6bd562a.jpg

Gary

This is looking really good - if you've followed Elmer's instructions relating to orientation and alignment of the gears it should be up and running in no time.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines

Gary, If you do make more internal ring gears Im in the market for one. I have the engine built to that point and fell over when I priced the gear.

Dave

It's working. Here is the video I promised:

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTAUUonZPhs[/ame]

I just have some cleaning up to do. On to the next project!

And here are some pics of the engine:

Elmer-1_zpsc465bf9c.jpg

Elmer-2_zps0a6d4c78.jpg

Elmer-3_zps5ae0dee9.jpg

Elmer-4_zpsd7509393.jpg

Elmer-5_zpsf56210cf.jpg

Elmer-6_zps907341d7.jpg

Very cool! Once I'm hip to making gears I may think about this one. How long was your build?

Wow...your geared engine looks amazing. I built this engine a few years back and it still draws a crowd at the shows. Mine does not look as good as that one though...great job!

Latest posts

Back