Elmer's #46 Comber Rotary Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the completed engine. I did run it for a short time yesterday. It requires about 15 psi to run. I will post a video after I do a little fine tuning to get it to run a little smoother.

CIMG4858.jpg

CIMG4860.jpg

CIMG4861.jpg

That looks very good! I can't wait to see the video.

I don't quite get how these work. The center line of the bearings are offset to the bottom of the ring?

That looks very good! I can't wait to see the video.

I don't quite get how these work. The center line of the bearings are offset to the bottom of the ring?

Yes, the center line of the bearings is 1/4 inch lower than the center of the ring (which is equal to half of the stroke). The ring is sort of an elliptical shape. I just finished up making brass bushings for the rollers. I was getting some binding and I hope the bushings take care of that. Will reassemble after lunch and hopefully it will run better. If it runs good, I will take a video.

Just like a wobbler you have ports that lineup and give a power stroke and then exhaust on the return stroke.
So here is a more liniar version of this.
Just add another roller to the other side and imagine the outter track is round.
As you can see the two circles, pivot and track are offset to give the taper needed.
Hope this helps.:)

liniar explained.jpg

Back