Elmer's #11 Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good looking parts!! One of these days ill have a cnc machine and learn how to program it and learn how to use Alibre better.. I envy you guys with cnc capability..:mad:

Looking great!

I have a question though. When you are machining you parts the material looks like steel, but when you show the final part they look like brass.

What is the finish you are using on your parts?

Gary

Thank you Gary.
Yea, some one else asked me about the finish too. It must be the florescent lighting in my shop ceiling. I need to start using some other lighting in another area of my shop. The mill has a white shop light above it and there are a couple more of the same type of lighting over a couple of benches in my shop. Or maybe it's a setting on my camera? I should check that too.
Gerry

Good looking parts!! One of these days ill have a cnc machine and learn how to program it and learn how to use Alibre better.. I envy you guys with cnc capability..:mad:

Thank you Bill.
Yes, I enjoy working with a solid modeling program and figuring out how to set up the model in the cam program and machining it using CNC.
Gerry

This the last update on this build.
I made the remaining parts, pins, vent, steam connection and pre assembled the engine. Put air to it and I'll be darned but it runs! I had lubed the parts as I was assembling with air motor oil. I let run for about 5 minutes at around 20 - 30 psi and eventually it would slow down and stop. It was getting more and more stiff and hung up so I decided to dissemble to see if maybe a pin had come loose or something. Every thing looked OK except for a lot of fine and chunks of brass and metal shavings through out the crankcase.
I then cleaned all the parts thoroughly with lacquer thinner, finished polishing and painting.
I reassembled using white lithium grease. Especially around the oil grooves on the pistons.
After assembly I noticed that the whole mechanism moved quite easily and freely with very little "notchy-ness" in it, hooked up the air hose and it runs nicely I am surprised to say! The engine runs great on around 5psi.
I was really worried that I would have problems but it went well.
Here is a link to the video, I'll post over at the Finished Projects forum as well.
Thanks for following along,
Gerry

http://youtu.be/l-RffnnhHpI

l-RffnnhHpI

Latest posts

Back