Electric "Engine" Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Usually I don't do much machining in the summer, but their was a lot of cold and rainy days this summer. So I did manage to build one engine. I saw this MESCO motor somewhere, maybe this site, and I thought it was an interesting design. The single lever controls both direction and speed. Later I found the patent for the original design. I scaled the diagram up to size on a photocopier and took all measurements from that.

MESCO Motor
mesco_motor_4.jpg

The Patent
PA110167.jpg

Here is a early mock-up, I could of milled the whole frame out of one chunk but my wife hates that! :-X(noise) So I hacked it out from some 1/4" Ali plate.
P5260092.jpg

Testing and working out the bugs.
P8080162.jpg

In this picture you can see the cam and 2 "brushes". I used some brass for the first ones, but they wore away after a while. The new ones where made from some 0.010" freeler gauge material (Stainless?)
P8080168.jpg

All polished-up and painted, ready for assembly. I used some VHT Caliper Enamel, It is very hard and resistant to most nasty motor stuff.
PA040172.jpg

The finished motor.
PA110180.jpg

PA110187.jpg

And of course the Video, I found out after I filmed this, it will self-reverse if I crank up the voltage a bit.

IronHorse

Great Build! I love these old electric engine designs. What kind of voltage are you powering it with?

Chuck

I am running 10-12v at 2 Amps. I think I will re-wind the coils with some thinner wire. The original MESCO ran off 1.5v

IronHorse

Very nice! Beautiful polish. Thanks for the post.
(I'd self reverse too if my voltage got cranked up. ;D)

I did an electric in a scotch yoke configuration using solenoids. Was also thinking about doing one as a beam configuration with two solenoids.

Mine was not a model of a real device like yours and no where near as nice of finish as yours has. Nice job!

That's very cool!

I hadn't seen one of these solenoid sorta engines before.

Best,

BW

Wow, that is gorgeous! I love the black and gold! The flywheel looks great. Did you sandblast the spokes?

Russ

Very nicely done. The finish on it sure makes it stand out.
gbritnell

That's very nice! A pretty motor, and quiet too.
Good job, and looks like an interesting project.
What voltage is used? Do you know the minimum voltage it will run on?

Dean

Great job!!! Thanks for sharing. I've been interested in making one of those.

Wes

Back