Economy build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMS

Reaction score
This is a project that's been on going for about a year now, I started posting up in the casting area but it may fit better down here now. Sorry, but there are but a few shots I did of "work in progress" but there are many others here that are far better teachers than I. Anyway this is what I've managed to get done so far, hope that I can stay with it this time and maybe I'll finish it by years end.

DSCF4214.jpg

DSCF4215.jpg

DSCF4217.jpg

DSCF4219.jpg

I did get a few shots of some of the head work, nothing to shout about but I'm happy that I'm getting one step closer to hearing it run!!!

DSCF4202.jpg

DSCF4204.jpg

DSCF4207.jpg

DSCF4211.jpg

I've managed to get the cam gear finished tonight. One thing the plans called for was to ream .375" for the cam bearings, but I went 9.5mm which is .374" and with an added touch of green locktite, it worked out nicely. Here's a few pictures.
Hope to mount the cam plate soon and acquire some brass for the rocker arm and the governor.

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4228.jpg

DSCF4232.jpg

DSCF4234.jpg

Got a bit done today, milled out the side of the frame for the cam plate. All was great til I realized that I'd forgot to allow for tool diameter on the lower end of the y-axis cut. :redface2: What a GOOBER!!! Could have been worse though, guess some JB weld or some PIG putty will be put to use.

DSCF4236.jpg

DSCF4243.jpg

DSCF4239.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

Got a few more items done/fixed. Milled the rear of the camplate and installed just need to replace the screws with 6-32 countersunk. Milled the rear of the block to allow for the crankguard, and a bit of pig putty to fix the goob I had when milling out for the camplate.

DSCF4250.jpg

DSCF4252.jpg

Interesting build. Thanks for including your mistake, I though I was the only one.

As long as we can strive to learn something from our goob-ups then alls not lost, I think!!! Got the governor shaft done except for drilling the holes for the fly weights. But I decided to change up on the design by making it one piece rather than two pieces as the plans call for. But I had already pre-drilled the 3/16" hole for the shaft to insert into, so I left the gear end at .1875" outside diameter and stepped the weight side to .250" OD. The .250" OD should retain enough meat for the .1875" hole in that area. Hope the shot of the prints compaired to what I did in my change makes since.

DSCF4300.jpg

DSCF4259.jpg

DSCF4260.jpg

DSCF4269.jpg

A few more thing accomplished tonight, like countersinking the camplate mounting holes. Got the cam gear mounting shaft made, located the position for it and got that mounted. Then located the position for the governor shaft and got that installed too. Got a shipment of metal from Speedy Metals today so alot of making my own screws, nuts, etc. will be instore.

DSCF4301.jpg

DSCF4302.jpg

DSCF4303.jpg

DSCF4304.jpg

Trying my best to stick with it this time. Most of the easier stuff is about done and now things are starting to get a bit more challenging. Well I guess all of it has been an challenge. But hopefully my learnings from this will help me on the second Economy kit that's waiting so patently to be built. Or do I start the Galloway??? Think I'll ponder that thought a bit more as I get closer to finishing this project.

Got a package from Speedy Metals the other day, so lets go make something!!! First was to replace the 5/16 nut threaded for 6-32 for one that's 1/4" nut with the same threads. Got a start on this but still bit more to go. Got a small Victor Jersey #741 vice that's really come to the rescue with these smaller parts.

DSCF4312.jpg

DSCF4318.jpg

Not very much done in the last few weeks, road blocks. Anyway I've managed to get the connecting rod mocked up. Need to mount the latch-out block but will have to get some of that 2-56 stuff first. Been getting by with 4-40 and 6-32 sizes up til now.

DSCF4327.jpg

DSCF4329.jpg

You're making great progress on the Economy and don't worry about the small goofs. If they can be fixed they're only small bumps in the trip. It's when welding or other serious repairs are needed that they become big goofs.
gbritnell

It's looking more and more like an engine, if I listen closely I think I can already hear it running.

Thanks guys, managed to get the latchout arm roughed out last night. Some final fitting and I should be able to mount it in place. Still need some 2-56 taps and screws, and I was going to order some of that stuff yesterday.

DSCF4337.jpg

DSCF4338.jpg

Got the exhaust valve rocker arm made up. Will need to shorten the exhaust stem, as of now there's a heavy angle the rocker has to make between the pushrod and valve. Also need to make two spring guides, some keepers, and an exhaust pipe. This should finish up all that needs to be done to the head.

DSCF4339.jpg

DSCF4340.jpg

Got the loose ends on the head buttoned-up with the exception of the exhaust pipe, still thinking about that design.

DSCF4341.jpg

DSCF4343.jpg

looking great Mate
your intake valve looks like it has a nut and thread?
not for the faint hearted
Pete

Latest posts

Back