Economy build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, hope to make some progress this week on the cart. I did get some 3" and 4" pipe cut in 3/4" wide pieces for the front and rear wheels. Not sure if I'm going to use round or hex stock for the hubs. Also need to come up with a much smaller ignition system than the large battery/coil system that I've been using that's meant for my full size hit & miss engines.

Got a 3" wheel mocked up tonight. Used some .750" shaft for the hub and some 8 penny nails for the spokes.

DSCF4418.jpg

DSCF4419.jpg

I've got the paint brushes out, couldn't resist. I got some stuff called Rust n Dust from Micro-Mark, and to my eyes I'm very happy with the end results. Most here may cringe at the thought of all the time that is spent on making our precision models only to age it with rust and dirt and not the glossy paint job and polished brass.
In the full size antique engine world, most respect an unrestored engine running in it's work clothes, so all the better reason to try it with this model. Hope some here will understand and like what they see.

DSCF4456.jpg

DSCF4458.jpg

DSCF4460.jpg

DSCF4461.jpg

Wow! It's funny how the paint job makes it look like a full size engine.

Nice.

Robin

That turned out very nice.. The first painted picture fooled me! I thought it was a original engine that you wanted it to look like but not the model! Nice indeed.

Thanks for the comments guys, that reassures me that I got the look that I was going for. Got my cart finished, though I think I should've made it touch bigger. Still thinking about internal or external gas tank.
And what is it with getting an engine to run as good after a paint job as before??? It took forever to regain compression when I put it back together, and then to keep compression I had to feed extra oil to it. Man did it ever make a mess out the back and after some checking, I found that my ring end gap was .015"!!! I checked the end gap with some new rings I'd bought from Debolt and they measured .008". I thought about it over a cold Miller Lite and decided to add a third ring. I've run it once sence then and it ran very well but I think some more break-in time is needed on the rings.
For an update on the Rust n Dust finish, it held up great to the heat, as for the oil and gas, well it's only ok. But on the brite side, touch up with this stuff is very simple as you don't have to worry about blending old finish with new, it will just add to the look!!!

DSCF4470.jpg

DSCF4475.jpg

DSCF4474.jpg

DSCF4469.jpg

A few more things done over the Holidays, seeing I had a little free time. Bought a dome muffler and a 1 3/4" gas tank kit and some check valves from Debolt machine. The gas tank kit fit in the base like a glove when the mounting tabs were removed. Used an 1/8" ell with a swivel cover for the fill spout, looks close to the real ones on the full sized engine. I also put a fresh coating of Rust-n-Dust on, which should about wrap this project up.

DSCF4497.jpg

DSCF4498.jpg

DSCF4499.jpg

DSCF4500.jpg

Nice job!

I like the barn fresh look; need to file that tip away for future use.

Dave

Looks a lot like my 12" to the foot Simplicity 8Hp!

Nice Job!

Dave

Thanks guys.

And steamer, I'd like to see a picture or two of this Simplicity.

Craig

Latest posts

Back