Economic Motor project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom T

Reaction score
hello all I have been away from this site for awhile got tied up restoring some engines but I am back to model engine building again. If your new here you can see last winters project by searching atkinson cycle engine supersize.
I have started building a model of a engine built by Economic Motor Co. about 1883 it is a non compression engine of the Lenoir type. All I have to go by is 3 pictures and a 15 minute conversation with a guy on the phone that has built 2 of these. I am going to need your help when I get to the fuel system.
ok here we go, I Had a 18 inch flywheel that was a raw casting I turned it true and bored it out to 1.250. The base is built up from 18 inch pipe and flat bar, lots of welding and grinding. Tom T
101_0949.jpg

101_0984.jpg

101_0987.jpg

101_0992.jpg

Tom, I really like the way you have done the base. It looks great! Will you be welding a majority of the frame work together, or are you going to use bolts?

Keep us up on the build progress!

Tom that base certainly doesn't look like a fabrication!
OMG.gif

Amazing craftsmanship and artistry there!
Please keep those pictures coming as you go.

Rick

Wow!

I love to watch these fabricated pieces turn out looking so gorgeous. And that's really a unique engine design. Never seen anything quite like it. What a good choice!

Cheers,

BW

That is a very cool base. Great idea on making it. I may to try that some time.

Eric

Tom T,

Very nifty base :bow:

Thanks for sharing :D

Regards
Bob

Thanks for encouragement guys . I have made a little more progress. Here is a another picture.
Wareagle I will bolt most of it together because I will have to take it apart about a 1000 times before its done ::)
101_1011.jpg

Great progress. Very industrial looking. I like that

Eric

Tom, I am here to tell you that your fab skills are first rate! That is looking fantastic! :bow:

That's going to be a great looking engine, Tom. And I love the way you built the base. Great idea!

Chuck

I got the parts for the cyl built. The barrel slips up thru the plate, the fins are set in the slots in the plate and the round ring is pressed onto the top of them. The Cyl head will use the bolt holes in the barrel for the head bolts.

100_2039.jpg

This is what it looks like assymbled. Tom

100_2036.jpg

Tom, that build and the fabrication for it can only be described as Unique...I will be following this build with great interest.
All the best for now,
John.

Tom, the cylinder and fins etc are really superb, and the construction is intriguing, how did you lay out the baseplate, CNC, DRO or pencil and paper ........... just interested ........... and looking forward to the rest.

CC

Tom T,

I was impressed with the base.
champion.gif

I am absolutely blown away with the cylinder fins and their construction method
champion.gif
champion.gif
champion.gif

Bloody marvellous :bow: :bow:

Can't wait to see this finished.

Best Regards
Bob

Tom, I am in awe! This is an unconventional project as we (model engineers) are used seeing. You are doing a first class job and I can't hardly wait to see the pictures of the final product!!

Latest posts

Back