Dynamo build by castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dynamos of yesteryears were indeed interesting to say the least, but progress has changed all of this. The invention of new and better steel such as silicone steel has changed the size and construction of generators and motors making them more efficient and a lot smaller there there counterparts. Even the wire inside them has gone through transition as well. The wire was wrapped in cloth and silk for insulation. The new wire has high temperature rating that way exceed that of its counterpart and take up less room.
Not very many people, even Electricians and Electronic Techs realize that all luxurys we have today in electricity and electronics was all give to us by one man. His name was Nikola Tesla a Serbian immigrant and a unselfish man who gave to mankind just to see his inventions work. Not to say there were not any other contributers like Micheal Faraday, Joseph Henery, Hippolyte Pixii, And many others, but Tesla,s contributions far exceed theres. The man that lit the world also give you the AC Generator ,Motor, all your fluorescent lighting,communication, TV, Robotics the list goes on. For a man that gave so much to the world he died in his hotel room in New York City a poor man. New York has a Erected a statue of him in his memory.
It took years after his death before his recognition was made public. He was my inspiration for the career I loved for 45 years. I hope some of you will look his name up on the Internet and see how great of a man he was. His many inventions and photo types are in a museum in Serbia.

Regards Don

Manfred, I think your design is very interesting. I would be up for a set of castings if you decide to move forward.

Good luck!

Hi Dave,

a old man (73 Y) is not so fast any more. Today I have done a "big job" ;), send the SLT data to shape ways to get the coil holder printed. The outside coil is more or less for deco, they will create some voltage. The inside coil is the real one.
The body have to be from plastic, the result is no cogging at all. That will be the advantage for a small and power less machine. If You google air coil or wind mill generator, You get many info`s on this subject.

Best Regards Manfred

magnet-assy.jpg

deko-spulenkörper.jpg

Sounds great Manfred! Take your time!

, I'll be watching! ;D

Dave

Hi Manfred

If you have the time, could you (or anyone else) explain how the 'no cogging' part of the generator works ? I tried googling the suggested air coils/wind mill generators but have not really found any good explanation.

My understanding is that although you can generate electricity without using a core the source impedance is very high, in that when you try to draw current the voltage collapses quickly.

If anyone can point me to a link with a simple (!) explanation I would be indebted.

Many thanks

picclock

Hi picclok,

look at the videos from Bernd he is an expert on air coil generators and my teacher on this subject. I transfer only this know how into a modelgenerator to use with our little engines.

http://www.daswindrad.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=344 more pics and videos you find by googl under air coil generator

In this forum you also find the experiments I have done on this subject, sorry is written in German. But I am sure you will find a English speaking formun on wind generators to get good info`s on this subject.

A air coil generator, with out load, has no resistant the bearings are the only part that give you a very small resistant to the system.

Best Regards Manfred

Hi picclok,

watch this video on air coils [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-21MAznLs&NR=1&feature=endscreen[/ame]
A motor runs as generator as well.
I`m not sure, but will try to run the outside windings as 3 phase motor windings to get a motor and a generator in one machine.

Best Regards Manfred

I would be very cautious spinning a plastic (or metal) wheel at high rpm like that.
Those magnets can and will fly out of there some day when the wheel gives way, and you won't want to be nearby when it happens.

Just a word of caution when spinning things at high rpm.
I had a wood wheel explode when I spun it one time.
Not a good thing.

Hi Manfred

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and the link to the german page. I was able to use google translate to get a very good understanding of how this works. Its a very clever system in that there are no iron losses, so might even be more efficient than the conventional methods.

Looking forward to seeing the project completed.

Best Regards

picclock

Generates more power than it uses?....sure about that Don?

Don1966 said:
If tuned correctly it will product more energy then it takes to run it. The concept works ...

Arrgh! Please, please tell me you didn't say that.

I have seen a lot of junk science, but the above is one of the better examples of it.

Energy (in the world we know, ie: on the earth) is neither created nor destroyed.
You can only change it from one form to another, and always at a loss.

Fundamental rule of physics.
And the earth is not flat either.

No disrespect intended, but it makes my hair stand on end when I see absurd energy claims. They can always be proven wrong simply by measuring energy in and comparing it with energy out, and following scientific rules (ie: you take real measurements with accurate test equipment).

Hello to all of You,

my intention is build a small model generator. This fantastic ideas are not on my agenda and I don`t believe they will work.
But the iron less generator will work well and used in many industrial application. This is one of the oldest method to generate power. With the new earth magnets this system come the last yeahrs in to the focus again.
But China have raised the price for earthmagnets, so I`m happy to have about 3000 magnets for the old and lower price.

Best Regards Manfred

Manfred,
This is very interesting to me and it will be a nice way to put a steam engine or IC engine to work. I will be watching your progress.

Dan

...not trying to defy the laws of physics...

Couldn't agree more. Some of the worlds greatest discoverys were made by people who defied the norm and asked "why not"

Acceptance comes about with rigorous test and the reporting of repeatable and reproducable data, and not opinion.

So, Gear shift firmly planted in "Easy"! .....But you can also understand , to put it every so gently, a good deal of healthy "skeptizism".

I've been making my living with existing laws of thermodynamics and their principles for nearly thirty years.....and I eat well ;D

Dave

Mandfred, this will be a very interesting build; count me in as following along :bow:

Gents, shall we let Manfred get back to his thread ? ;)

Kind regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
Gents, shall we let Manfred get back to his thread ? ;)

To that point Manfred, I am still eager to see how your generator progresses. I'd like to have a set of castings some day even if I have to design my own windings, so you have at least one customer :)

I would not get too worried about rare earth magnets.

Most motors/generators do not use them, but instead have wound stators.
With a would stator, you can apply DC current to the stator, and create any level of magnetism you want, without using magnets.

Magnets are very convenient for a small motor/generator, and are a more simple approach, but not the only approach.

You can also make a 3-phase synchronous motor if you use a wound stator, if you need to operate at a precise and constant speed regardless of load.

Sorry Manfred for getting off the track. I look forward to more of your input and photos of your motor. If I understood you correctly you will generate output will motorizing the motor. I am curious to see your motor when completed. The motor photo type you showed a video of had switching transistors to run it , is this correct?
Manfred I have remove all of my previous post and I do apologize for this, it was not my intension to disrupt your thread and in advertability I did.

Regards Don

Back