Dynamo build by castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haben Sie vielen Dank! Zugabe! Hier ist die Zugabe

WARNING !!!!

never let a Generator over night alone. You never can see what is going on. *beer* My generatorbabys are a present from Peter.

Best regards
Manfred

DSC00818.JPG

Has no-one made a Tesla disc generator? - suits the Tesla Turbine very well.
I have a fancy to make one - just maybe not the "passion".
I just assembled a pair of Sturmey Archer bicycle alternators into this one - pictures below: The magnets rotate around the core stator. Suits a bicycle, but the parts are old reclaimed scrap and the rust has attacked the poles a bit. I still need to decide how to power it? - 6V. 12W output at >300rpm. Electronically stabilised. Will easily power the LED "lamp" I assembled.
P6172315.JPG
P7092335.JPG
P7092338.JPG
P7312298.JPG

K2

Manfred, you could do worse than get an old (scrap?) Motorcycle generator - The rotor use in the 1960s British motorcycles was 6 pole permanent magnet: and stator 6 pole (coil). This gave effectively 3 phases. Originally, the wiring gave one pair of coils for low output (daytime) and all coils for high output (6V.0 10A) for Night-time lighting. Later wired so the alternator gave single phase 12V 10A. and even later 3 phase 12V 15A. But around 3000rpm for full output.
Japanese and other European manufacturers made similar designs, but all have the principle of the magnetised rotor and outer coils. These may give you parts you can incorporate into your own scheme. - Maybe a 3 phase excited rotor design - more like the common car alternator? - as used on 1970s Motorcycles and beyond.
Also, there are various designs of household appliance motors that can be converted to generators by changing the rotor...
Enjoy!
K2

Back