Dynamo build by castings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manfred albert

Reaction score
Hello to all of You,

in the last year I have learned howe a dynamo works and build my one CNC mill.
The design work of the dynamo is done. Most of the pattern are finished. The foundry is next to my door, but still it takes time to get the parts on hand.

Manfred

generatormontage.jpg

Giessereimodelle.jpg

DSC00699.JPG

Manfred-

That is a very nice looking generator.

I have wanted to design/build one ever since I saw one on a Cretors last year (photo below).

Can you share any information on number of poles, wire size, voltage, phase, amps, power, etc?

Are you planning on selling a casting kit?

Tri-State-Cretors.jpg

Hello,

sorry I put in a wrong pic, now the correct one.
The generator have 12 coils, 32 magnets. The AC voltage and amp`s I don't now jet. It coud be wired to 3 phase, but I going to wire it by a single phase. The wire size is 0.5mm. The generator have no cooging at all, to operate on modell engines with less power.
If the generator works well You can buy a set of casting and magnets.

Manfred

baugruppe1.jpg

Manfred-

Thanks for the information.

They still operate large motors like that in this city.
I got a few photos of one a few years ago at one of the stormwater runoff plants.

Pat J

Dcp02726.jpg

DCP02727.JPG

A few more photos of a medium voltage motor.
Probably 1500 hp, 4.16 KV.

Early 1900's vintage? or maybe later.

Motor diameter is approximately 10 feet.

DCP02744.JPG

DCP02728.JPG

Stator connection.

You can always use a wound stator like this and power it with DC, if you want to avoid the use of magnets.

DCP02725.JPG

I love those photos Pat, we do have an old power plant here with these old generators. I am also interested in your Dynamo Manfred. That looks like a very interesting project. I have be wanting to build my own dynamo base on Tesla's design. It is just getting the time to get started. I would like to visits Tesla,s museum one day to see all his photo types.

Regards Don

Interesting project Manfred, I'll be watching!

Hello Pat and Ron,

I`m going to report step by step. Than it become easy to build one by yourself.

Regards Manfred

Hi Manfred

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you may have trouble getting many volts out of the dynamo as the wire size will limit the number of turns that can be made. May I suggest just winding one core with very thin wire and measuring the voltage produced. This will give you an easy way to get the correct number of turns for your required voltage output. You can then determine the correct wire diameter as being the size which will almost fill the available winding space.

The gap between the magnet and the core laminations is quite critical. I wound several small brushless motors for one of my radio controlled helicopters, which have a very similar mechanical arrangement with the exception that the magnet was a ring with multiple poles running outside the winding laminations.

Good luck with your project.

Best Regards

picclock

Hello picclock,

I set the magnets on the rotor, this one goes into the lathe and a test coil tell`s me the voltage output. A similar generator have a output of 16 V AC / 1000 rpm. With the late I can messure the different voltage depending on the airgap. Closed as possible is the best solution and give the highest output. I inspecting 8 - 10 volts.

Best Regards Manfred

Hello Manfred, having been witness to some of your work in the past, I have no doubt that this small dynamo will be a success. I'll be watching as well. These power generating devices are justas interesting now as when we were all small lads.

BC1
Jim

Great project manfred. I was just wondering if a stripped down stepper motor would give you the correct size wire and a bunch of permanent magnets.

Hello Herbie,

to find out the coil size is not a problem, some test and you know what to due. I have learned in a forum das windrad to build a dynamo. 4 testgenerators I build to get some experience. The pic show the set up of a coil test.
So I hope this Small one one gets some bulbs on.

Best Regards Manfred

DSC00479.JPG

You might find this interesting. The motor is 13,200 volt and the generator is 250 volt at 8,000amps. I found it at the steel mill in the Ford Rouge complex. The Motor/Gen set is still used today.

DSCN0590s.JPG

DSCN0591s.JPG

DSCN0592s.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

Hi Manfred. It looks like you have done your homework on the subject so along with others i shall follow the build with great interest with the aim of making one also.
Kind regards
Herbie

P.S Lots of pictures please

Manfred I would put a small load on the circuit when testing voltage just to stabilize the voltage reading. 200 ma would be enough. I also notice from you photo your meter has a battery lite on. I would replace the battery and recheck the voltage again. Low battery indicators tell you there is a problem and can give you a incorrect reading.

Regards Don

Hello stevehuckss396,

Ja a nameplate is a must, first trial on this object are done. see the pic, a testobjekt (pattern) is already in the foundry.

Hi Don, all the up coming electrical test we are going to handle that together. I make the measurements and you the calculation, if you agree.

Best Regards Manfred

DSC00680.JPG

Manfred has started a most intriguing subject with his generator, Which i for one find a change from engines, Large electric motors &generators of the era of Manfreds model have a fascination brought on by the size, & elegant design of the castings used in the construction of these great things, This fact coupled to the effortless manner in which they operated is to me a greatly ignored & undervalued branch of engineering

taking a comparison of similar products of today, we find the designs are very plain &not particularly interesting to look at

Thanks everybody who contributed to a most intresting thread.

Latest posts

Back