DRO Info

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hand

Reaction score
Ok, I'm pretty new to this machining thing, but thought adding DRO's to my SX3 and Grizz 9x19 would help me make fewer mistakes and speed things up a bit. I received a DRO kit with glass scales for the mill, which is pretty straight forward. The problem I'm having is that I decided to use a design I seen on Micro-Machine Shop.com using the cheaper scales and a display unit for the lathe. The way he mounts his scales which I really like, is facing an angle iron to protect it from debris, but makes it so you can't turn the scale on or off. The display unit I'm using is from CDCO and doesn't register movement unless the scale is on. I can Zero the scale from the display but cant turn it on or off. The author of that web site is using a different display unit but I'm sure the cables are the same. He said he soldered a 100 uf 10v Tantalum capacitor between the battery leads on the scale. Is this what I need to do to make this set up work? If so, is the battery then removed for good, or is it used in conjunction with the capacitor. I'm no electricalmathamtition so any help is sure appreciated. :wall:

1hand
I had a quick look at the site you quoted but could not find the section you referred to.
I suspect that the DROs are powered from the remote display and are switched on and off from there.
It is normal practice to fit a capacitor across the battery terminals (with no battery in place) to avoid erratic readings caused by interference being picked up by the cable

Hope that helps

John

Back