Drill Press rotary indexing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is an indexing drill press table I built. I picked it up at a local salvage yard, looking pretty much like it does in this picture. I had to turn down the spigot to fit and I also cut the two slots on top for bolting things down. Finally, I modified the hole in the center to take a 5C collet. The holes (and unfortunately, the big square slots) were already drilled. The spacing of the holes is based on 24 although 2 of the 24 have been replaced by the big square cutouts. However, I can work around those pretty easily. The indexing arm on the side was made from hot rolled steel and fastens to the column clamp on the back. I leave this table in the drill press all the time.

ValveAssembly1.jpg

ValveAssembly2.jpg

Nice adaptation. 24 holes gives you a nice selection of drill patterns.

I've certainly enjoyed using the one I made. It fits in my mill vise and gets used much more than I ever thought it would. It's proven to be a very handy item to have around.

Steve

Very slick Chuck! That must save you a ton of time compared to wrestling a rotab onto the mill, setting it up, etc. How do you tighten the collet..just a knurled & threaded ring underneath?

Question: What's the motor/pulley/belt gizmo in the bottom left of the 2nd picture? Inquiring minds want to know. ;D

DICKEYBIRD said:
Very slick Chuck! That must save you a ton of time compared to wrestling a rotab onto the mill, setting it up, etc. How do you tighten the collet..just a knurled & threaded ring underneath?

Question: What's the motor/pulley/belt gizmo in the bottom left of the 2nd picture? Inquiring minds want to know. ;D

I have several rotary tables, but I seldom use them. The drill press table suits many of my needs. The collets are tightened, as you guessed, by a knurled & threaded ring underneath.

The motor you mentioned is a variable speed DC gearmotor attached to my lathe leadscrew for motorized carriage feed.

Chuck

cfellows said:
The motor you mentioned is a variable speed DC gearmotor attached to my lathe leadscrew for motorized carriage feed.
That's what I was guessing it was. Was the gearmotor bought new or something you had lying around? I'd like to add a power crossfeed to my little 8x16 lathe and a readymade gearmotor would save a lot of fiddle time.

What voltage does it need and what did you do for a power supply? I it variable speed? I know, I'm a pest. ;D

Latest posts

Back