Downsizing to a smaller lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enough politics and back to the topic of discussion of Downsizing To A Smaller Lathe
A very worth while Topic as not everyone can find a home for full sized machine tools.
I quite agree, however, I was just reading in this month's Scientific American an article that is basically about propaganda and overcoming it's affects and seeing thru it. surprisingly, the author doesn't seem to realize that she is falling right into the very trap she pretends to be against, using the very word "lies" about what she considers her opponents views. What she is saying is no news to me, however, I thimpfks she would consider ME to be a "CT", conspiracy theorist, because I believe conspiracies are with us every day of every year. (Anthony Sutton describes a conspiracy as basically 3 parts: 1) a group of people meet in secret, 2) that group decides on a course of action 3) that action is illegal. Anthony is NOT speaking about what we consider to "criminal conspiracies" which happen every day, but rather, corporate and governmental, and these too happen eveery day). Her article is interesting but in my opinjion naive and even guilty of her own accusings.

Anyway, I have some used and unused reamers for sale. Anyone interested? or is this the wrong place to ask?

• Haha
Reactions: Zeb
I guess I'm just lucky. I don't do any social media but at least once a week my wife will pass her phone to me and ask something like "is this the sort of bandsaw you're looking for ? " Well actually I found the Do-All but she found the lathe and either the mill or the surface grinder. On top of that she is an amazing cook and incredibly gorgeous. Yup, I am lucky indeed.

You are right about back to the basic issue. Lately I have started to improve my skills in shaping metal with hand-tools. A major motivator is the clock which our former member Frans Arts of our horology society made without any machinetool at all. It took him four years. Also all gears and pinions are made by sawing and filing. If you try to work without machinetools it is amazing what enormous reduction of accessories occurs. A major step to a smaller working space! See picture of the manual made clock. Works fine!

Arts clock.jpg

You are right about back to the basic issue. Lately I have started to improve my skills in shaping metal with hand-tools. A major motivator is the clock which our former member Frans Arts of our horology society made without any machinetool at all. It took him four years. Also all gears and pinions are made by sawing and filing. If you try to work without machinetools it is amazing what enormous reduction of accessories occurs. A major step to a smaller working space! See picture of the manual made clock. Works fine!

snip

(Please - - - some serious tongue in cheek arriving!!!!)

'Former member' - - - is that because after this monumental edifice he said - - - - "That's enough!!!!" or because he is no longer with us?

I for one would love a set of drawings and build commentary to that baby!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly he is no longer with us. Frans Arts had most of his designs in his head. Usually he would start out with a traditional base and keep adding to it. No drawings or sketches left behind.
Might take a careful examination of this very interesting design.
I too do a lot of work in my bean box but enough of what I do needs calculations so there are some bread crumbs left even if there aren't complete destructions - - - grin!

Thanks for the info!!!

We Canadians will NEVER bow the knee to an American monarch.
(Sarcasm below, in case there's question)
Take off eh! Your minister prime with the decepticon variant bows to the unelected US science king oligarch hosercrat. Except for the fringe minority who used the force, eh. Beauty.

ehem....

Yeah, after years of having a machine for everything at work I've gone back to files and hand tools for a lot of work. Even carefully turning metal by hand is rewarding. All my machining stuff (Sherline) sits ready in a 3'x7' closet. I can drop them on the kitchen island and, so long as it's left cleaner than when I arrived, my wife is pleased. Belt power is weak on them but quiet. I can machine all day while the wife sews contentedly.

clockworkcheval:
that is one beautiful clock, that is a work of art, it is amazing what the human mind can see and let the person express those thought and pictures in the mind to see the results of such things, I have had an interest in clock repairs even if only to do it for myself, now that I am retired have made a few yard sales and picked up some old clock for almost nothing, so now I will start finding out where to learn and get parts, I will never be as good as people like you but just one going with attention to detail and hearing it run and keep time would be so exciting, hats off to you fellows that have mastered that trade, you all are a cut above, Joe

Reactions: Zeb
I own one of these LMS 8.5" X 20 Deluxe lathes and am very happy with it. ...

Did you, or anyone else here who owns the 8.5x20 previously have 7x16 or similar other 7"/C3 class Sieg machine? I'm very interested to know if the 8.5 is a substantial step up in quality / performance , or the same as the 7x16 but with a bigger machining envelope.

I find my 7x16 to be "serviceable" but prone to chatter, and despite getting the MicroMark version, and still needed (and still needs more) fettling to get it square.

I am also in a small shop 8'x12' so I feel like the 8.5 is as large as I can go and still have room to turn around.

Latest posts

Back