Diesel engine : Kromhout Gardner 4LW 1940

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heater cartridges from 3d printers can heat up the aluminium of the engine, if you are able to accomodate a heater block or blind hole.
You get around 40 W out of one. Diameter 6mm and length 20 mm.
No idea if that is useful information, or if i miss the point. At least it is not very expensive (provided you have a power supply already).
Greetings.

View attachment 149247

Seeing this reference to 3d printer heaters, I was poking around some sites and noticed numerous sources for hardened steel printer nozzles down to 0.2mm. Very inexpensive. Seems like they might be suitable for injector tips.
HardenedSteelPrinterNozzles.png

but the more I read, the more confused I got. Quite a complex subject. Also, the seasonal differences in highway diesel blends is always there.

This makes me think that, because home built diesels seem to be (generally) a bit difficult to start, that having a fuel with consistent properties from session to session, might be causing more problems than one would expect.
Just a thought.
Yes, it's a bit complicated but don't worry too much about it.
With this engine I take it as a test, ..because I want to know a little more about the small diesel engine as well as I can see if it can run on diesel, how does it run? how do I tune it?... , push it to the limits of my engine and my machining...
I found the problem with this diesel engine : The temperature of the compressed air in the cylinder as well as the design to avoid heat loss (the problem is that I am not the engine designer :D😂😅)
I will redesign and make a new version based on my experience with this version
Again, don't worry too much about it !!

..............................................................The temperature of the compressed air in the cylinder as well as the design to avoid heat loss (the problem is that I am not the engine designer :D😂😅)
I will redesign and make a new version based on my experience with this version
(Quote edited by Lloyd for emphasis)

Read my signature line below to get a laugh. Seems like many of us are driven by that same affliction, LOL. 🤣
Lloyd

I'm still tuning and playing with this engine
Learn how to properly adjust the spray time, as well as learn the heat....I will apply it to my future designs
My engine is very small, 8.5-> 9 cc per cylinder and it still runs on diesel so you shouldn't worry too much about fuel with your engine.
Focus on the mechanical part and solve each problem

I drill brass jets down to 0.2mm drill. For use as gas jets for gas burners. The jets for 3D-Printers (Lloyd #221) could be used, but "commercial" gas jets cost about £3 each, whereas I buy drills for £2.50 for a pack of 10... and the brass stock is pretty cheap too.
K2

0.2mm in brass is ok, in stainless steel it is more difficult.

Getting adequate compression pressure and temperature in small engines is difficult. The cam timing, specifically the closing of the inlet valve, can significantly effect the compression at low/cranking speeds. Gardener used a modified rocker arm that could be slid along to increase the valve clearance so the inlet valve closed at BDC giving maximum compression rather than the 20-30° later that would give the best performance.

20230829_194140.jpg

To snap off drills up to 0.8 mm I do not even need any material. I can do it just beeing clumsy during handling. .... :cool:

I am sorry for the stupid comment. could not help it.
Timo, maybe you have a special gift. I have heard of people bending spoons with their mind. It seems you can break those drills just by thinking of drilling a hole with them. Amazing!

Back