What kind of diesel engine will be next ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a bit busy...so my 4-cylinder diesel is still on the table
While searching the internet about diesel engines I really like them , maybe it will be my next goal
I am looking for information about them

Dieselmotor_Langen_&_Wolf,_1898A.jpg
Diesel's_Engine.jpg
TEKS0027846 (3).jpg
TEKS0027846.jpg

Reactions: Zeb
I like that second picture with the open column, since it looks a lot like a steam engine.

The frame could actually be designed to work with both engines.

Great photos, thanks for those.

Minh-Thanh,

the B & W #1 was the inspiration for Find Hansen's hot-bulb and true-diesel model engines, and I so much admire them that I'm building two at the moment, the first will be gasoline with spark ignition, and after that one works the second will, fingers crossed, be a true diesel running on kerosene.

http://findsminimodelhotbulbengines.dk/index.html
I can't compete with Find Hansen's attention to detail, I just hope to get a running engine, but his design is beautiful and if you don't look too closely mine has some of that beauty. You can't go wrong trying to duplicate one of his diesels, or doing your own B & W #1 inspired engine.

Peter L.

Minh-Thanh,

the B & W #1 was the inspiration for Find Hansen's hot-bulb and true-diesel model engines, and I so much admire them that I'm building two at the moment, the first will be gasoline with spark ignition, and after that one works the second will, fingers crossed, be a true diesel running on kerosene.

http://findsminimodelhotbulbengines.dk/index.html
I can't compete with Find Hansen's attention to detail, I just hope to get a running engine, but his design is beautiful and if you don't look too closely mine has some of that beauty. You can't go wrong trying to duplicate one of his diesels, or doing your own B & W #1 inspired engine.

Peter L.
I also watched his videos
Although he makes very nice engines, there are a few pieces of information he gives that I find "very strange" - at least with my 10cc diesel engine or am I wrong, maybe... ;)
I won't copy his, I will design and build the engine my way .

I also watched his videos
Although he makes very nice engines, there are a few pieces of information he gives that I find "very strange" - at least with my 10cc diesel engine or am I wrong, maybe... ;)
I won't copy his, I will design and build the engine my way .

I am curious to know what details you find "strange" ?

The one thing I learned from Find Hansen's diesel videos is that he states that he has to open the injector against cylinder pressure, ie: the injector is like a tiny mushroom valve on an IC engine, and the cylinder pressure keeps the valve completely closed until he pulses the injector with a pressure that is higher than what is inside the cylinder.

I think one is the Diesel 250/400 that is in the Deutsches Musen in Munich:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_250/400
Another may be the first B&W engine:

I hope this is helpful.

Interesting to see! This is very similar to our Mirrlees engine at the Anson museum, right down to double-acting barring gear, compressor on the end of the crank to work the air-blast injection gear etc etc. (Although - our single is on a later conversion to 'solid injection'. If we ever get our 4-cyl version to run, we'll have to work out the air blast system - we might have all the bits!). Here's a link to a recent video I already posted on here, for anyone who has not seen it yet, and to compare with the Danish one above.

At the museum, we also have (non-runner, on loan from the Science Museum in London) Mirrlees No.1, which (I think) is contemporaneous with the engine in the OP or perhaps a little earlier. It is interesting in that it retains a crosshead from steam engine practice, even though it is single acting and has no lower head / piston rod gland etc.

Last edited:
Interesting to see! This is very similar to our Mirrlees engine at the Anson museum, right down to double-acting barring gear, compressor on the end of the crank to work the air-blast injection gear etc etc. (Although - our single is on a later conversion to 'solid injection'. If we ever get our 4-cyl version to run, we'll have to work out the air blast system - we might have all the bits!). Here's a link to a recent video I already posted on here, for anyone who has not seen it yet, and to compare with the Danish one above.

At the museum, we also have (non-runner, on loan from the Science Museum in London) Mirrlees No.1, which (I think) is contemporaneous with the engine in the OP or perhaps a little earlier. It is interesting in that it retains a crosshead from steam engine practice, even though it is single acting and has no lower head / piston rod gland etc.

If possible....can you help me take some pictures ?

If possible....can you help me take some pictures ?
Sure, although this is complicated by my failure to own a smart phone. I'll see what I can do regarding borrowing one, and get back to you. If you like the engine in your OP with the crosshead, perhaps Mirrlees no1 would suit you best, or maybe a model of the one which runs would be more exciting (and when you are finished, you can visit UK and watch it running!). I tend to be at the museum at least once a week, and taking measurements etc would be no problem (even less of a problem if you shared the drawing :)).
cheers
Mark

Minh-Thanh, another engine I like a lot is Britnel's Holt 75, the original is gasoline, but I've thought about a diesel conversion, how about you, perhaps it looks too much like a fairbanks-morse and if you wanted to be "true scale" you'd go with the later. Peter L.

Hi Minh, how about the big brother of the 4LW you are currently building - the Gardner 8L3B complete with Gardner reverse/reduction gearbox?

I am in awe of your skill in modelling the 4LW

Graham

Attachments

• Gardner 8L3B.pdf
    289.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi Graham !
Thanks for sharing the file .
Hi Minh, how about the big brother of the 4LW you are currently building - the Gardner 8L3B complete with Gardner reverse/reduction gearbox?

Graham

Maybe...in the future...
I need to find a solution for the fuel inlet and outlet of the pump or a solution to make the most efficient ball valve if I want to do an project engine with more than 4 cylinders.
With a 1 or 2 cylinder engine with 1 or 2 sets of ball valves I can control it, with 4 cylinders there will be 4 sets of ball valves and it starts going CRAZY .
With 8 cylinders there will be 8 sets of ball valves, it will be a never ending project if I don't have a new solution to make ball valves.

Back