What is a Diesel Engine ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think that both evolutionary processes are on a par with each other.
You might like to consider reading up on George B Brayton? He’s been an almost forgotten pioneer in the area of internal combustion. Accredited with the invention of the liquid fuel injector and his Cycle is now in extensive use around the world.
I have been very slowly building a replica of one of his engInes for over 20 years now. Hopefully I will get to finish it in the next couple of years.
Cheers Graham.View attachment 146995View attachment 146996
George Brayton is hardly forgotten. His cycle lives in every gas turbine, either flying in every commercial passenger plane not having a propeller turned by a babbitt beater or in various stationary services. I believe George's largest engine currently produces over 500,000 horsepower. There's one operating 24/7 in an electric power station about ten miles from here.

I have a small Brayton Cycle reciprocating, vertical, single-cylinder engine which I believe was made by the same mechanic who made the three-cylinder Brayton engine in George Seldon's infamous automobile. It appears to be designed to burn either a gaseous fuel or benzine (gasoline). The gaseous fuel enters through a rubber hose directly into the compressor inlet. The liquid fuel is injected into a burner atomizer by a tiny "D valve" displacement pump. The engine is somewhat sooted up internally and slightly worn, so I believe it ran at one time. It has about a 2-1/2" bore and stroke and a cast-iron lyre-shaped hollow frame which doubles as the compressed air receiver. The tiny overhead camshaft, driven from the crankshaft by a vertical tower shaft, also drives a tiny vane-compressor, the purpose of which is not obvious. I believe the vane compressor is part of a "keep alive" system to sustain the combustor pilot flame during the exhaust stroke.

Last edited:
From my engineering perspective engine running on Otto cycle or similar ( combustion at constant volume) are petrol or gasoline engines while engine running on Diesel cycle (combustion at constant pressure) are Diesel engine. Modern slow speed marine diesel engine use dual cycle.

download.png

Otto cycle

download (1).png

Diesel cycle
download (2).png

Dual cycle

Regards
Nikhil

From my engineering perspective engine running on Otto cycle or similar ( combustion at constant volume) are petrol or gasoline engines while engine running on Diesel cycle (combustion at constant pressure) are Diesel engine. Modern slow speed marine diesel engine use dual cycle.

View attachment 147974
Otto cycle

View attachment 147975

Diesel cycle
View attachment 147976

Dual cycle

Regards
Nikhil

Sorry - - - - I find these diagrams quite hard to read - - - is there any way that larger versions could be made available - - - even as a link - - - please?

TIA

Latest posts

Back