What kind of diesel engine will be next ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All !
I am designing a new engine
There is one part - it's like an injector - that I don't know how it works. Hope someone gives me information about it
Thank you .
diesel2.jpg

Hi Minh

Your drawing shows a marine trunk piston engine with blast injection. Blast injection is achieved by supplying the injectors with a low pressure fuel supply via a simple circulating pump and the fuel is injected by admission of compressed air. The injector actuation and air admission is via a cam operated rocker.
These engines were an absolute nightmare for Marine Engineers and could be dangerous if the fuel/air mixture bypassed the check valves and fed up the compressed air supply line - boom!
Fortunately blast injection is like nostalgia - a thing of the past.

Graham

I think that this maybe the early Vickers common rail fuel injection system. There is a separate engine driven pressure pump delivering 100-200 bar. The injector is held closed by the spring right at the top and is opened by a cam and rocker. There is a brief reference on Wikapedia dating this to 1913 for use on submarine engines. Here are a couple of mentions from some old books I have.

20230820_193815.jpg

20230820_194054.jpg

Latest posts

Back