Daves Chucks Hit&Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreeves

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I got some work done on my second Chucks Single. This one will be a 4 cycle hit and miss. I build a new frame but I using the first one as a test bed. Here are some pics of the parts.

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

Interesting build! I'm looking forword to seeing it work.

Chuck

Looks great! Again, as I think we worked out in another thread, is there any point having it 4 cycle if it's hit & miss? Adds to the interest of the engine though.

Good job!

Im going to try to make it work. I think there will be a binding issue with the link arm. If this is a problem I will make it a two cycle but I had to try.

It will be interesting to see how it works and how it differs from the 2 cycle hit & miss. The only thing I can see happening is that once it's had a hit and the clutch disengages, because that shaft is rotating 1/2 speed, it will take longer to re-engage so it could do 1 more revolution between hits I suppose. It's difficult to envisage until you actually see it.

I think your link arm will work well as it looks rigid enough and well made.

Can't wait to see it going!

Nick

NickG said:
It will be interesting to see how it works and how it differs from the 2 cycle hit & miss. The only thing I can see happening is that once it's had a hit and the clutch disengages, because that shaft is rotating 1/2 speed, it will take longer to re-engage so it could do 1 more revolution between hits I suppose. It's difficult to envisage until you actually see it.

I think your link arm will work well as it looks rigid enough and well made.

Can't wait to see it going!

Nick

I don't think there will be much difference in terms of 2 & 4 stroke operation. Mostly it's aesthetics. There may be some different sounds from the gears and the valve linkage. The downside of 4 stroke is the additional friction from the gears and linkage. May cause the engine to "Fire" more frequently.

Chuck

Either way, it will be good. It's a great engine Chuck, has proved to be very popular and mesmorising to watch. I think it's on most peoples "lists" if they haven't already made one!
:big:

:bow:

Latest posts

Back