Cylinder ? ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naijin

Reaction score
Hi there, a question for all those people who have built small engines, do most of you use cast iron for the cylinders, or is mild steel sufficient ?.

Nick :confused:

Many more experienced builders will answer, I'm sure, but personally for I.C. engines I use cast iron for ease of machining, finish and built in lubrication (to an extent). So far all the plans I've used have called for cast iron but I know many have successfully used other materials.

Is there a reason you're looking at different materials? Don't be put off by the people who say they don't like machining it. It gets a bit on the dirty side, but machines great.

Hi Al, the main reason is the cost of cast, and it is very hard to come by in Warrnambool,
Nick

I buy mine from a company called Bohler Uddeholm here in Perth (they are in other states but Dandenong looks to be the closest to you) and the price is very reasonable. Last bit I bought was 1-1/4" round x 8" long and cost me no more than $15, maybe as low as $10, 3 months ago. I can't remember what grade it was but I specified a free machining grade and this piece turn nicely.

If you can manage to track some down I do recommend it.

Bought steel from Bohler in Dandenong a few times, they had a $50 minimum cash sale last time I was there. I usually just get want I want and something else for stock, does not have to be the same material.

Paul.

Nick, I buy all my cast from flocast, Newlands Rd, Coburg, good quality
prices ok, google their website for good info.
78mm round bar cylinder grade 850mm long cost about $70 a week or so ago.
Great to machine. VFS should be able to freight it to you.

Dave

Yep, $50 min charge here too - I should have mentioned that. I do the same, order everything I need for the current build and then increase the lengths or just get some common sizes as spare stock. Really, it doesn't take long to burn through $50 on materials though. I don't normally walk out the door for less than $100...

Hello
One year ago i bought single engine casting kit and as aditional part
seller sent me piece of tube for liner.
Tube inner diameter was perfectly grinded , wall thicnes 3mm.
Seller told me that such tubes are produced in various diameters for fast repairing hydraulic machines /their cilinders ?/
To build cilinder using this tube was easy job.
Have a nice day
Kadora

You can use high tensile steel from old drive shaft or cast iron from old camshaft or brake disc of scrapped car/truck.

In material combination:
1. Cast iron piston ---> high tensile steel or cast iron cylinder
2. Aluminium piston ---> cast iron piston ring ---> high tensile steel or cast iron cylinder

Latest posts

Back