Could this be bronze?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deere_x475guy

Reaction score
I was scavenging around the shop today and remembered I had what I thought was bronze. What do you think? It sure looks close to the pictures in the Enco catalog of their bronze. If it is bronze I am hoping to use it for the connecting rod bearings on my crankshaft.

bronze.jpg

Thank Mike, this will be my first attempt at machining this stuff. Will good sharp HHS be ok or will I need to use carbide?

HSS or carbide will work great.

Just remember how bronze and brass will hog in if you have rake on a drill.

The stuff is messy like cast so you might throw down some paper to catch the chips from going everywhere. Millions of little slivers.

Thanks Mike, I probably won't have time to start on the bearings today but at least I am better prepared to do this now.

Looks like Ampco. Maybe all those bronzes look the same. Can it be soldered?

E

I've got a chunk that I know to be bronze that looks just like that with the same marks on it, it is very sticky and I broke a couple of drill bits on it, you just need to go steady with it, I find hss works fine, you might chip your carbide tips!.

Giles

It could be gunmetal.That has a similar hue to it.The same machining rules apply.If drilling,I find "pecking"it will be much easier on the drill,particularly if it's a small hole.
You will also need to sharpen your tools quite often.But with sharp tools,it machines beautifully.

Here are some of the more popular brasses and bronzes along with their common names and make ups and melting points. And the brasses tend to a whiter/litter coloring than the bronzes.
If you have some gas or TIG Bronze brazing rod it is generally a naval type bronze.

And yes it looks like a bronze to me also.

ALPHA BRASSES

* Gilding Metal 95%Cu 5%Zn 1057'C 1935'F melt point
* 220 Red Brass 90%Cu 10% Zn 1044'C 1910'F
* 226 Nu-GOLD 88% Cu 12%Zn 1030'C 1886'F
* RED BRASS 85%Cu 15% Zn 1021'C 1870'F
* YELLOW BRASS 65%Cu 35%Zn 904'C 1660'F

BETA BRASSES

* MUNTZ BRASS 60% Cu 40%Zn 889'C 1650'F
* NAVAL (ROMAN) BRASS 60%Cu .75%Sn 39.25%Zn 888'C 1630'F
* BATH BRASS 55%Cu 45%Zn used in fittings for plumbing

BRONZES

* PHOSPHOR BRONZE (A) 95%Cu 5%SN 1060'C 1945'F
* PHOSPHOR BRONZE © 92%Cu 8% SN
* PHOSPHOR BRONZE (D) 90%Cu 10% SN 1050'C 1920'F
* BELL CASTING BRONZE 80%Cu 20%Sn
* MANGANESE BRONZE 95% Cu 5%MN 1060'C 1945'F
* SILICON BRONZE (1) 90%Cu 9%Sn 1%Si 1050'C 1920'F
* SILICON BRONZE (2) 98%Cu 1.40%Sn 0.60%Si 1065'C 1950'F

Now the temps are all in the neighborhood. I have 10 or 15 charts and as many melting temps each.

* Cu Copper
* Sn Tin
* Zn Zinc
* Mn Manganese
* Si Silicon

I should add that this is just most popular alloys, and by no means an end to the list. there tin/lead based and the iron base bronze alloys. But thats another story

I would like to mess with that bell bronze Cu is copper. What is SN? I might try making my own alloy.

SN is Tin periodic chart stuff the rest is bottom of the post.
;)

Duh!!! I should have read the while post. I assume those %'s are by weight? Now where would you get tin? Maybe some of those solder bars?

Thanks, Wes

I believe MC Masters-Carr hat it. and some of the foundry suppliers have it or can get it.
;D

Latest posts

Back