Corliss Steam Engine (Coles Power Models)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everybody,
I will retire at the end of April '23.
But, I'm going to move to the south of France in Nice Côte d'Azur. But it's 715 miles from home. (1150Km)
And every month, I move a full LT of goods, furnitures, workshop, etc...
It's very hard to move and at the same time do my job of technical manager in one of the biggest Belgian Trucks Cy.
At the end, it's a lot of job. So, be patient, I will be back soon.
Attached file, my future workshop in progress
Regards
LeZap
View attachment 144030View attachment 144032
So now you have moved and retired. How is your Coles coming?

Yes, I'm now living in Nice since one month.
But I'm facing an other problem. All my machine use 3X380V, but i've only single fase 220V.
And I'm fighting with EDF/ Enedis to have 3X380V.
It's very complicate in France to get this! It's dominant position of state company. Hegenomy with other words
Regard
LeZap

But I'm facing an other problem. All my machine use 3X380V, but i've only single fase 220V.
It's very complicate in France to get this! It's dominant position of state company. Hegenomy with other words
Regard
LeZap
I take it that Enedis is the power company? Can you use a VFD?

Hmmm. I should consider a single phase to 3-phase voltage converter/speed controller... if you can buy such a thing? I once considered buying a Drilling/milling machine that had been "converted" to remove the single phase 240V motor and multiple pulleys... and replace with a single pulley and 3-phase motor driven by a single phase to 3-phase variable speed controller.... (The Electrical Engineer didn't realise the loss of torque at the quill at low speeds of the motor compared to the speed reduction by multiple pulleys! - It saved him doing belt speed changes, but he was selling the machine because of the poor low speed performance with larger diameter tools and heavy cuts, afterwards!).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19488394...it1aCkkAg86uuhOBTJHCVIhW0BU=|tkp:BFBM4NfIjaBi
Search: Frequency Converter Single-Phase 220V To 3-Phase 380V Motor

Perhaps cheaper than a new supply from the Utility?
K2

Hmmm. I should consider a single phase to 3-phase voltage converter/speed controller... if you can buy such a thing? I once considered buying a Drilling/milling machine that had been "converted" to remove the single phase 240V motor and multiple pulleys... and replace with a single pulley and 3-phase motor driven by a single phase to 3-phase variable speed controller.... (The Electrical Engineer didn't realise the loss of torque at the quill at low speeds of the motor compared to the speed reduction by multiple pulleys! - It saved him doing belt speed changes, but he was selling the machine because of the poor low speed performance with larger diameter tools and heavy cuts, afterwards!).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19488394...it1aCkkAg86uuhOBTJHCVIhW0BU=|tkp:BFBM4NfIjaBi
Search: Frequency Converter Single-Phase 220V To 3-Phase 380V Motor

Perhaps cheaper than a new supply from the Utility?
K2
Yes, thanks, I know this solution. But it will be a problem with my Atlas Copco compressor.
LZ

LeZap.... Are you accepting visitors? - I like to visit Nice! Warm and sunny compared to the North-East of England!
K2 😉
Of course, you're welcome. There is a large british community in Nice.
That the raison why the greatest avenue in Nice called "Promenade des anglais" (british ride) just in front of the Mediteranean sea. Nice to live in Nice!
LZ

I think I have seen several hobby folks using VFD's on each piece of 3-phase equipment, in lieu of a central phase converter that serves all of the 3-phase equipment.

So the VFD would be single-phase in, and 3-phase out.
Check with the folks who have used this method, and verify that this is working for them.
Can anyone comment on this method?

I think I have seen several hobby folks using VFD's on each piece of 3-phase equipment, in lieu of a central phase converter that serves all of the 3-phase equipment.

Check with the folks who have used this method, and verify that this is working for them.

In my experience, this is the most common use for a VFD especially for hobbyists. When I was younger (last week) an aquaintance wanted to have 3 phase wired to his house. This is about 40 years ago, the cost would have been 10,000USD in that years dollar value. An expensive VFD can cost 1000USD but a cheapo like the one I have is 90USD. I'm sure the one needed for Frawhnce would be in the mid range somewhere. After all it appears to be really odd voltage there.

In my experience, this is the most common use for a VFD especially for hobbyists. When I was younger (last week) an aquaintance wanted to have 3 phase wired to his house. This is about 40 years ago, the cost would have been 10,000USD in that years dollar value. An expensive VFD can cost 1000USD but a cheapo like the one I have is 90USD. I'm sure the one needed for Frawhnce would be in the mid range somewhere. After all it appears to be really odd voltage there.
380/3/50 is common outside the US (460 x 50 / 60 = 383.3333etc). 460/3/60 motors will run, but 17% slower (which can be an issue with fan cooled motors).

Hi Zap. I guess your total supply needs are quite big? What is your total kVA demand for single phase,and total kVA demand for 3 phase? You may never need full load , but the system must be rated, wired and fused appropriately. Usually, the phase converters, single to 3-phase, cost in steps,according to size. So you may be able to run a single converter for a couple of smaller machines, and another converter for a big load - like the compressor?
Enjoy!
K2

Haven't done- - - - looking/reading - - - anything over small motors (think that was like 1 kW / 1 hp) the requirement when using the vfd to add the third leg was to de-rate the vfd to 58% of nominal capacity. So for a 7.5 hp motor you would need to run a vfd for a 10 hp.

It starts getting expensive to drop an oversized vfd on every machine.
In north america Phase Perfect makes an electronic phase inverter that makes some very nice 3 phase from single.
(for a 50A 460V its not cheap - - - - think about 8k usd)

Don't think they do 230 to 380V though.

Sorta surprised that the OP is having issues getting the 380V though - - - - but then my knowledge is more east and north of where he's at.

Regard
LeZap
Is your property in a restricted zoning area?

Maybe you need to have a business that just has to have that bigger juice that happens to work out of your garage?

Hello friends, ater moving to the Côte d'Azur (french riviera)
I'm back in my workshop!
LZ
DSC_0179.JPG

Hello friends, ater moving to the Côte d'Azur (french riviera)
I'm back in my workshop!
LZ
Yippee yippee - - - - is the chez Zapjack also open (giggling)?

So what did you do re: your power requirements?
(Curious to know.)

I'd bet its a great feeling - - - finally done with the moving
(and 1/2 done with unpacking and organizing all the stuff I'd bet!).

Latest posts

Back