Copper Steam Plant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHorse

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Well after my failure to get my AlphaVictory engine to run, I decided to finish a project that I started 5 years ago. This is actually what got me into model engine building. I had bought a few "Toy" steam engines on Ebay (Mamod, Jensen, Wilesco and Weeden) and thought I could make my own. So I beat out the fire-box and the Hardware store boiler parts but soon realized I would have to spend the money to buy everthing else. Or I could buy a lathe and make it myself. The steam fittings and whistle are the first things I made when I got the machine home. The engine is a copy of the engine on my small Mamod unit, single action wobbler. I also have a small Lubricator to supply oil to the engine.

P1010595.jpg

I built a condenser to catch the exhaust steam and water so I do not get puddles on the woodwork.

P1010626.jpg

The generator was made from a small 6V electric motor I found at the hobby store. It supplies power through a 330 Ohm resistor to a small high intensity white LED.

P1010627.jpg

Here is a shot from the back showing the smoke stack with the garage sale candle holder cap. I found some Red Oak at the building store and glued 2 pieces together. I borrowed a router from a friend to finish the edges and gave it 4 coats of poly.

P1010613.jpg

And finally a Video. Here it is running on air as I want to show this off for a while before I fire up the boiler and tarnish everything.

This project took way to long to finish, but I am happy with the result. I do not think I will do another "total" polished engine again, It was just too much work. I think I will switch to a more Rat-Rod approach for the next project. ;D

Thanks for looking
IronHorse

That's a beautiful piece of work.
And while "It was just too much work", it was well worth it.
Very very nice.

Thanks for the comments, It was a fun project, now I can watch it tarnish :'( I will try to find a wooden box to keep it in.

IronHorse

Wow fantastic . I wish I had the patience and perseverance for such projects. seems lik I have way to many simpler projects partial done these days.
A thought here if you plan to run on steam and even if you do not a drip pan under the engine would be a nice add on . I would think you will get a bit of leakage and therefor condensate. for the engine just a thought. fantastic work though.
Tin

Nice! I love polished copper....

Great build!

Dave

WOW. Super power plant. Very nice work.

Ron

Beautiful job, IronHorse.
Dennis

Simply Beautiful Iron Horse. I just have to ask...have you protected the finish and if so how?...or do you just polish it up from time to time?

Bill

Iron Horse,

Simply gorgeous. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Bill: I did not clear lacquer the parts like they do on a Mamod. I have a couple of old Mamod's and the coating burns/flakes off after a while and it is hard to keep it nice. I think I will just leave it as bare metal and just polish it up the best I can. Maybe as it ages it will look cool, time will tell. I found that Silvo works better than Brasso polish on Copper/Brass ???. The brasso leaves fine scratches, but the Silvo does a really nice job.

IronHorse

That's a top job you've done there. Really first rate! All your work has really paid off in a good running engine and beautiful looking steam plant.
Well done, and thanks for the pics.

Beautiful work! I love that it does something, so many engines just run for the sake of running, but this one lights a light! :) But you said there's a whistle too? I beg you to remake the video so we can hear the whistle.

Well unfortunately the Whistle sounds more like a Hisstle. As I mentioned the whistle was the first thing I made when I got my lathe. It also leaks around the valve, I will have to do some adjustments before it actually whistles.

IronHorse

Very impressive. I wish there were plans for something like that. I like the idea of using a small motor for the generator.

Hi IronHorse. That is a work of art.
Kevin

So you're the guy!! ;D

I saw photos of this plant posted on another forum. That is pure metal sex appeal. A fine work of metal art. Just over the top gorgeous. :bow:

Ya, that's me. A fellow from that site saw my post here and asked if he could post some pictures there. I guess the more exposure the better ;D

IronHorse

Latest posts

Back