Coolant system.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wm460

Reaction score
I need a coolant system for my mill, lathe and band saw.

I have a pump and tank for the mill and lathe.

How many nozzles would I need for the mill?

What is the best idea of containing the coolant splatters?

My band saw is a BS-5, how can I install a coolant system to this, because I have to use this in my BBQ area I need to have some way of not making a mess on the pavers.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B003

I just found these on ebay would these be better?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Mist...258578?hash=item1c6593a2d2:g:LoQAAOSwJSJXGDlP

:wall::wall:

I've got the same saw.The base of has a lip round it that would contain coolant. Just make a tray that sits under the whole saw on the stand and drill a hole in the base of the saw so it can drain into the tray and from there let it drain into something like this.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/P235

Or into a bucket with a fish pond pump to do it on the cheap.

If you can work out a way to attach a hose to the hole you drill. You won't need a tray.

Mark,

I bought five of those units from ebay to fit all my machines. They are basically exactly the same as the one I designed and made a few years ago, and mine worked perfectly, as long as you keep the air pressure down so that you are not fogging up your shop.

Anyway, I gave one to a friend of mine, and he has sent me an email stating he has his working perfectly on his lathe.

The secret is to use very little air, just enough to raise the suds from it's bottle, which should be slightly lower than the nozzle. Then adjust the nozzle until there is only a tiny amount of fluid coming out, I did it on the back of my thumbnail, until you just see it going moist. A 1pint bottle should last a very long time as so little is used, plus no clean up apart a wipe over the tray or table with a cloth.

These are NOT for flood cooling. They use the air blow to cool the tip of the cutting tool down and put a tiny bit of lubrication onto the tool and job. They do work very well with the lathe, especially when boring, on all materials and for use on the mill, up to about 10mm (3/8") diameter cutter, over that size, there is generally too much heat generated for it to work properly, the tiny amount of suds just gets boiled away. If you slowed things down a lot, it might cope with larger cutters. I get over the problem by using solid carbide cutters from 12mm up to 20mm and cut dry.

Hope this helps

John

I've got the same saw.The base of has a lip round it that would contain coolant. Just make a tray that sits under the whole saw on the stand and drill a hole in the base of the saw so it can drain into the tray and from there let it drain into something like this.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/P235

Or into a bucket with a fish pond pump to do it on the cheap.

If you can work out a way to attach a hose to the hole you drill. You won't need a tray.

Did you use the stand that came with it or did you make your own?

Mark,

I bought five of those units from ebay to fit all my machines. They are basically exactly the same as the one I designed and made a few years ago, and mine worked perfectly, as long as you keep the air pressure down so that you are not fogging up your shop.

Anyway, I gave one to a friend of mine, and he has sent me an email stating he has his working perfectly on his lathe.

The secret is to use very little air, just enough to raise the suds from it's bottle, which should be slightly lower than the nozzle. Then adjust the nozzle until there is only a tiny amount of fluid coming out, I did it on the back of my thumbnail, until you just see it going moist. A 1pint bottle should last a very long time as so little is used, plus no clean up apart a wipe over the tray or table with a cloth.

These are NOT for flood cooling. They use the air blow to cool the tip of the cutting tool down and put a tiny bit of lubrication onto the tool and job. They do work very well with the lathe, especially when boring, on all materials and for use on the mill, up to about 10mm (3/8") diameter cutter, over that size, there is generally too much heat generated for it to work properly, the tiny amount of suds just gets boiled away. If you slowed things down a lot, it might cope with larger cutters. I get over the problem by using solid carbide cutters from 12mm up to 20mm and cut dry.

Hope this helps

John

Thanks John, great description on how to use it Thm:Thm:

Would there be any chance of a photo of your set up?

Mark,

I only have pictures of my build of the nozzle etc, but if you can wait a little, I am in my shop this Sunday to make a silver soldering video, and while there I will take a couple of pics of my spraymist setup.

Spraymist03.jpg

Spraymist04.jpg

Spraymist26.jpg

Spraymist34.jpg

Spraymist36.jpg

Spraymist39.jpg

John

Did you use the stand that came with it or did you make your own?

I did make my own stand but it was built on a base on wheels that I made for my previous bandsaw. It would make no difference to add a tray whichever stand you used.

Latest posts

Back