I have to sell my workshop!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Martin,
I have followed the advice being given and have to agree it's the way to go for selling tools. I would however suggest you take some time before doing anything. Your wife's condition is significant and will be a priority for you, but as you mention palliative care it sound to me a temporary situation (my personal experience of lung cancer) that will leave a large hole in your life in the future. If machining makes you feel contented and can give you a needed distraction perhaps consider not selling and look at other financial options to get you through. McMillan have very good financial advisors that can help in these situations. In any event unless you sell to a dealer at a very low value (try to avoid this) to shift it all I doubt you will have the time to sell much yourself any time soon.
I wish you and your wife all the best at this difficult time.
Gary.

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear about this news. This must be a distressing time for you, and I wish you and your wife the best through this time.

I guess there are a couple of ways of looking at the workshop.

- A place to escape when you need some time to yourself.
As Gary and others have mentioned, I expect you will definitely need to switch off, even for short periods over the coming while. You will need downtime to be able to recharge and best serve your wife. Try not to overwork yourself, and take whatever help is available. Maybe the workshop is a good place for this, or maybe you have other options. From experience of other members in our club, having some routine, normality and familiar interactions really helped them through similar scenarios.
Re the workshop, for this case, no major action required. Just lock it up safe and leave it in a storage / sleep state (oiled etc) so it's ready when you have / want some time there. Even just to sit down, have a coffee, and listen to some music or read a magazine/paper.

- A source of some short-term cash.
I personally hate selling tools / downsizing, but if you need help with cashflow, maybe this is your best option.

My first step, which you could do relatively light touch, is list out the major /important items, and an idea of what you would hope to get for them.
I would be inclined to suggest not just offloading the lot for whatever you can get. You will get screwed. (Pardon the pun!)
I imagine it all has some value to you, and would be expensive to replace should you be in the position or desire to use the equipment in the future.

Should you still be looking to sell some / all the items, I'm sure some members of this forum, your local engineering clubs, etc would be interested in some of, if not all, your items, as others have stated. (I personally, am always picking up new bits when time and money allows.)

If this is still a route you would look to take, maybe list out some of the more prominent items here, either with or without a desired price, and members could confirm your valuations, and some may even be in a position to help out finding new homes or in other ways.

I purchased my 1950s Mk1 Myford Super 7 from a lady who was widowed. I paid more than she was expecting for it, and got a good deal myself. And she had the knowledge it was going to a good home. I also picked up some other items from her too, which she was unable to list.
5 years later, it's still running beautifully, and well loved/looked after.

Finally, maybe state your location. You said South Wales. Could you be slightly more specific. (Dont give the exact location, but a nearest town would be handy.)

Big hugs to you both, and I hope you and your wife get through this time as comfortably as possible.

Kindest Regards,
Del

Hi Del,

Thanks for the excellent advice, I will contact the local engineering club and see what they have to say.

They are not exactly local but might still be interested in helping out.

It would indeed be nice to use the workshop for a break but I don't feel that there is any point making anything in that sphere as I will not be able to take the shop with me when I downsize the house as I will have to do.

I have several other hobbies that can easily take their place thank goodness...

My location is Abertillery, Gwent.

It depends on how long my wife has as to how much time I will have to sort out the saleable items.

Martin

My wife went through chemo and radiation last year.
Very intense time for sure, and non-stop doctor visits and health issues.

For us, it was getting organized to be able to make it through the next day.
If you try to project out too far, you can get overwhelmed.

Take it a day at a time.
Work on the problems that you need to solve to make it to the next day.

Every day on this earth is a gift, and that is my motto.

I don't take a day for granted.

Good luck; keep working the problems as they arise.
You will get it all sorted out.
You just have to do the best you can in these circumstance.

I feel for you for sure.

Some folks work virtually in 3D modeling, which gives the look and feel of machining, assembling and running an engine, but all virtually.
Alibre seems to be a reasonable program with a lot of features.

There are some unbelievable "builds" in 3D that I have seen, including some spectacular steam locomotives.

There are ways to stay in the game and keep the mind occupied.

Reactions: Zeb

Take it a day at a time.

I feel for you for sure.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it is very much appreciated.

How is your wife now?

I do hope she is better.

Your advice is excellent, it is just following it that I find so hard.;)

Martin

My wife is in remission now, and doing well.
One day at a time.

I had to force myself to make a checklist of things that had to get done every day.

One does not want to get into what I call "meltdown mode", where you can't get the things done that must be taken care of.

One has to still function while getting hammered mentally, financially, and that can be a huge challenge when one's entire world is being turned upside down.

My approach is to circle the wagons, hunker down, focus on making the best of whatever situation arises, and riding through the storm.

I found some spectacular photos online of a lighthouse being hammered by huge waves during a storm, and so I printed a few of those, and keep them handy, as a reminder that I have to be the rock and the foundation regardless of the circumstances; I don't have any other options.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dramatic-photos-massive-waves-completely-7694937
I don't own the copyright to the photo below:
It very much encompasses the feelings and emotions I have as my family and many other families fight serious illnesses.

The lighthouse sits on top of bedrock.
The waves do not move it, no matter how large the waves are.
Be the lighthouse.

An-island-lighthouse-2396216266.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeb
Thanks very much for the positive thoughts and the picture.:)

I am very glad to hear that your wife in in remission.

Martin

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it is very much appreciated.

How is your wife now?

I do hope she is better.

Your advice is excellent, it is just following it that I find so hard.;)

Martin

Sorry that typo about my wife .
She had to go though the something you going though as you are with me.

I am the one on life time chemo.

She doing must better since my last pet scan was good.

Now my doctors say I do not know probably a long time.

Dave

I am very glad to hear that your last scan was good, something to hold onto and I hope you do have a long time Dave.

Martin

I am very glad to hear that your last scan was good, something to hold onto and I hope you do have a long time Dave.

Martin
Thank you.

I should have my next scan in two months. The blood test showed no cancer but never has. I think I am glowing purple at night for all the X-rays I have had over the years.
I it is harder on my wife thinking of cancer over the last 14 years after the doctor said you have 6 months

Dave

Hi Del,

Thanks for the excellent advice, I will contact the local engineering club and see what they have to say.

They are not exactly local but might still be interested in helping out.

It would indeed be nice to use the workshop for a break but I don't feel that there is any point making anything in that sphere as I will not be able to take the shop with me when I downsize the house as I will have to do.

I have several other hobbies that can easily take their place thank goodness...

My location is Abertillery, Gwent.

It depends on how long my wife has as to how much time I will have to sort out the saleable items.

Martin
Hi Martin: Sorry to hear about your wife. I have been through three different cancers with my wife in the 37 years we have been married, and the one she is fighting at the moment is terminal. Not asking for your comments on this, but do you have to sell your house...are you eligible for NHS or social care? It may be worth doing some research on this...

My wife is in remission now, and doing well.
One day at a time.

I had to force myself to make a checklist of things that had to get done every day.

One does not want to get into what I call "meltdown mode", where you can't get the things done that must be taken care of.

One has to still function while getting hammered mentally, financially, and that can be a huge challenge when one's entire world is being turned upside down.

My approach is to circle the wagons, hunker down, focus on making the best of whatever situation arises, and riding through the storm.

I found some spectacular photos online of a lighthouse being hammered by huge waves during a storm, and so I printed a few of those, and keep them handy, as a reminder that I have to be the rock and the foundation regardless of the circumstances; I don't have any other options.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/dramatic-photos-massive-waves-completely-7694937
I don't own the copyright to the photo below:
It very much encompasses the feelings and emotions I have as my family and many other families fight serious illnesses.

The lighthouse sits on top of bedrock.
The waves do not move it, no matter how large the waves are.
Be the lighthouse.

View attachment 143033
You can endure this. I'm neither better nor worse than anyone. In 2009 my wife,who was my dear friend went through chemo for ovarian cancer. She was in remission for 7 years. Then wham. It was back. She was finished. No more chemo or doctors. I quit my job and sat by her bedside for about 5 months until December 2015. She was looking forward to the finish line. When she passed I was broken fiscally, financially, am emotionally. But by being able to get back into my shop and just think, I'm recovering. Not so much financially but I've remarried a wonderful woman who helps me to recover. I had to sell my best Mill, and small lathe, but still busy enough to survive.

Hi Martin: Sorry to hear about your wife. I have been through three different cancers with my wife in the 37 years we have been married, and the one she is fighting at the moment is terminal. Not asking for your comments on this, but do you have to sell your house...are you eligible for NHS or social care? It may be worth doing some research on this...
Unfortunately not as we have too much income.

You can endure this. I'm neither better nor worse than anyone. In 2009 my wife,who was my dear friend went through chemo for ovarian cancer. She was in remission for 7 years. Then wham. It was back. She was finished. No more chemo or doctors. I quit my job and sat by her bedside for about 5 months until December 2015. She was looking forward to the finish line. When she passed I was broken fiscally, financially, am emotionally. But by being able to get back into my shop and just think, I'm recovering. Not so much financially but I've remarried a wonderful woman who helps me to recover. I had to sell my best Mill, and small lathe, but still busy enough to survive.
I am very happy to hear that life is now much better again for you, there are good people out there who can make all the difference.

I would say that right now is a very bad time to make any radical changes. #1 - you are in shock, as these circumstances seem, at the moment, rather overwhelming, and that in turn causes you to be less rational than you might otherwise be. #2 - and any decisions you make in haste will all too soon be regretted, as they were made with insufficient information and thus are likely to be very poor decisions.

You need to take a couple weeks, is here condition so dire that all this has to be done right now? Will making these changes be good for your wife? She needs some stability and calm at this time as she also is processing what this all means. Taking her away from this house/home may be a very bad thing for her mental health, and anything you can do that helps here emotionally and mentally will make process much easier for both of you. Familiar surroundings are calming and comforting. And you being out in that shop, puttering around may be part of some stability you wife needs right now. She needs you to be doing okay so she does not have to spend here time worrying about how you are doing.

II think of what I have read on what not to do when one loses a family member - Do not make any serious money decisions for at least 1 year. The trauma and emotions of the situation will make it very difficult to make these important, life altering decisions, and any decision you make may be regretted for a very long time.

I would say that right now is a very bad time to make any radical changes. #1 - you are in shock, as these circumstances seem, at the moment, rather overwhelming, and that in turn causes you to be less rational than you might otherwise be. #2 - and any decisions you make in haste will all too soon be regretted, as they were made with insufficient information and thus are likely to be very poor decisions.

You need to take a couple weeks, is here condition so dire that all this has to be done right now? Will making these changes be good for your wife? She needs some stability and calm at this time as she also is processing what this all means. Taking her away from this house/home may be a very bad thing for her mental health, and anything you can do that helps here emotionally and mentally will make process much easier for both of you. Familiar surroundings are calming and comforting. And you being out in that shop, puttering around may be part of some stability you wife needs right now. She needs you to be doing okay so she does not have to spend here time worrying about how you are doing.

II think of what I have read on what not to do when one loses a family member - Do not make any serious money decisions for at least 1 year. The trauma and emotions of the situation will make it very difficult to make these important, life altering decisions, and any decision you make may be regretted for a very long time.
Hi, Thanks for the excellent advice on holding off on making big decisions in haste.
You are quite correct in what you have said except that we may not have the luxury of waiting for a year sadly.
She has had a terminal diagnosis due to several problems, each of which could prove fatal in the short to medium term but as there have not been any full diagnostics performed as yet and may not be due to her multiple health conditions we remain in somewhat of a state of limbo until we can see the consultants again and see what they have to say.

My problem is that I have clinical depression and am prone to panic attacks when I can't deal with issues fairly quickly so I find it helpful to begin planning in advance.

So descisions are not being made right now just preparations and info gathering.

Take it a day at a time.

I feel for you for sure.

It was harder on wife being the spouse.
Try tilling your wife how to do sink repair, I would post photo but that ban from internet. I think she only had take the garbage cans out two times to the street. I have more stories like that too.

Dave

Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back