Great coolant except its toxic

Discussion in 'General Engine Discussion' started by Shopgeezer, May 18, 2019 at 2:23 AM.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 18, 2019 at 2:23 AM #1

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

So I invested in a coolant sprayer for the lathe that hooks up to the shop air and draws coolant from a container with a flexible plastic hose. Vacuum in the spray head pulls the coolant up to the nozzle. You can adjust the amount of spray with the valve on the unit. I picked up a bottle of water based coolant that is supposed to be good for everything. It was all smiles and chuckles until I read the label on the coolant jug. It is toxic! You are instructed to avoid all contact with skin and eyes. If it touches you a flush with water and trip to the emergency room is recommended.

Sheesh. Who are these jokers? This stuff is being sprayed on a rapidly rotating workpiece. It will splash everywhere. I will be coated head to foot in it and breath it to boot. Are they kidding?

Is there a better option for a water based coolant? What do people use in these spray systems? Or should I order a HazMat suit and hang biohazard signs on the door of the shop?

2. May 18, 2019 at 5:09 AM #2

XD351

XD351

XD351

Well-Known Member HMEM Supporter

What is the coolant you have bought ? You may be the victim of an over the top warning label . If any skin contact results in a need to go to hospital the coolant would be regarded as extremely hazardous and its sale would be restricted .

3. May 18, 2019 at 2:02 PM #3

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

Shopgeezer

It’s a generic coolant of no particular brand. I suspect the lawyers have got involved in the warning label but the warning about skin and eye contact has given me pause about using it in a misting system.