Computer went bang!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmuir

Reaction score
Turned on my PC this morning and 2 seconds later it went off as did the Tv and all the other power sockets as the cct breaker had tripped.
I put it down to my old UPS giving up.
Removed the UPS turned my PC back on, got a loud snapping sound followed by sparks coming out the PSU on my PC and this time the cct breaker for the wall sockets and the oven tripped. :eek:

PSU is gone on my PC and as my PC is old its not worth fixing.
So on Tuesday I'm up for just under $900 to upgrade / fix my PC.

Thats going to put a serious crimp on my clock project as thats money that was going to buy the last tools and material I needed.

Don't you just hate unplanned expenses......................

I've had to wait until my wife went to bed so I could use her laptop to post this...........

Power supplies are any easy replacement, probably worthwhile even on an old PC even if you want a new one as well.

Just a word of caution, I've had power supplies go out on me before and it usually takes the motherboard with it, and sometimes the hard disk drive. Apparently a power supply failure can cause all kinds of nasty voltage spikes before it gives up the ghost.

Chuck

tmuir said:
So on Tuesday I'm up for just under $900 to upgrade / fix my PC.

If your computer was that old and considering you'll probably be using Windows 7 on your next computer, the cost may be even higher given that some of your programs may not be compatible with the newer operating system, especially if you go to 64 bit.

-Trout

Yes I will be going to 64bit, but thankfully most of my software I use is freeware so nt a huge loss if I can't use them again.
The only one that really worries me if my printer drivers, but as I've only had the printer for less than 6 months and its still sold in the shops I'm hoping it will be ok.

tmuir said:
The only one that really worries me if my printer drivers,

Usually you can download drivers for free. Printer companies make their money on selling the hardware (well...actually the ink :big:).

I have a printer hooked up to a Vista machine and wanted to hook it up to a Mac. I couldn't find the disk so I went to the company's site. Was very easy.

zeeprogrammer said:
(well...actually the ink :big:).

Tell me about it.
3 of the 5 inks are nearly empty now.
Thats 50% of the cost f the printer. :big:
My previous printer used 6 inks. I was glad to get rid of one of them on my new printer.

Hi Tmuir,
I've got a 400 watter you can have, I bought it to repair an old clunker I was going to use for the cnc mill project, but the caps on the mother board were toast *bang* as well.
If you want it, I'll do a drive by dumping. It might get you running for a bit longer.
Cheers
Phil

printers argggg sometimes its cheaper to buy cheap printers and throw them away after (but takem apart for the parts first) $30 printer $60. ink ya printer is toast oh hunny got to go get a new printer

Side tracking to the printer ink issue for a moment:

I always keep two printers, one laser and one inkjet. Cost per sheet on the laser is negligible but the inkjet requires a work-around for ink economy. I always buy the Canon inkjets that have separate ink cartridges for each color. I order the ink refill kits online or get them from Fry's. I've been using the same refill kit now for nearly three years and just now had to buy another one at around 20 bucks. The later Canons have software that warns you the tank is empty and will keep doing so even after you refill the tank on your own. Just keep pushing the software buttons and eventually you can bypass the warnings. The software will do its best to tell you how stupid you are if you keep clicking the "I don't give a damn" button because they claim that your print head will overheat if the well runs dry and then they won't be responsible. Mine have run dry a number of times and what do you know, it still works. Can't tell you how much money I've saved but it would be enough to buy several printers.

Oh, and the expiration date on the ink cartridges and even the ink refill kits? Baloney, I'm not printing museum quality stuff here...I can't tell any difference in the print quality on ink that expired two years ago.

The only way to go if you ask me.

-T

Majorstrain said:
Hi Tmuir,
I've got a 400 watter you can have, I bought it to repair an old clunker I was going to use for the cnc mill project, but the caps on the mother board were toast *bang* as well.
If you want it, I'll do a drive by dumping. It might get you running for a bit longer.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for the offer but have just spent the last 7 hours building and then reinstalling all my software.
I'm probably about 80% there on reinstalling all my stuff I need.
Cost me $854 but I do have now a super fast, quieter, smaller cased PC that will hopefully last me a few years now.

Latest posts

Back